My first step

Date: July 12-13,2015

The Ohio State University Marching Band hosted a two day Summer Clinic for High School students interested in auditioning for the band in the future. We had over 150 kids from over 20 different states come to learn from members of the marching band. In the percussion section I worked with 17 snares, 3 basses, 6 tenors and 2 cymbals with the help of the other percussion counselors Scott, Megan and Alex. On Sunday our day started with training on how to spot child abuse, I can’t say this was a great way to start the day but I am glad no one spotted any signs and we didn’t need to use our training. Day one was all about fundamentals and we taught them all of them. Everything from Right Face, to Regual 8-to-5 step, Box TTR, Step Kicks and Hats off. The kids picked up well and although they got a little wet, by the end of the first day they knew the School Songs after our sectionals, and were able to march them up and down the field. Day Two was early beginning at 8 am and lasted until 9 pm, but was necessary as the kids learned more School Songs such as Hang on Sloopy and the Ramp sequence. At the end of the night we all took photos to commemorate the event and they even put on a show for the parents. I was proud of everyone for all their hard work. I was able to teach marching and lead a sectional for the first time, I have lots to work on but I now know what to do and I can’t wait for my next opportunity to teach. Here are some pictures from the Clinic….

Bass Drum Sectional.

Bass Drum Sectional.

Snare Drum.

Snare Drum.

Ohio Stadium.

Ohio Stadium.

Percussion Students.

Percussion Students.

The Final Performance.

The Final Performance.