Jibril Mohamed is a Somali professor at the Ohio State University where he serves as the faculty advisor for the Somali Students Association. He is also the director of SomaliCAN and the organizer of the annual Somali graduation and scholarship program. Jibril has been appointed by the Mayor of Columbus and the City Council as a Commissioner to serve on Columbus Community Relations Commission which addresses issues of human and civil rights.
Jibril also serves as a member of the Columbus City Schools Facilities Task Force. Jibril teaches courses in Somali studies both online and in classroom settings. Jibril is an expert on Somali affairs and public policy professional who serves as a consultant on Somali affairs for governmental and nongovernmental organizations in the U.S. and in the Horn of Africa. He lives in Columbus, Ohio with his wife and children.
- PhD – Community Development & Leadership
College of Food, Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
The Ohio State University (e.2020)
- Master of Public Policy & Management
John Glenn College of Public Affairs
The Ohio State University (2012)
- BA (Honors) – Economics with Minor in Linguistics
School of Economics
University of Nairobi (2005)
University of Cincinnati (2007)
Service: Boards, Commissions & Community Involvement
- Commissioner, City of Columbus Community Relations Commission
- Member, Columbus City Schools Facilities Task Force
- State Leader, U.S. Global Leadership Coalition
- Member, Advisory Committee, New Americans Magazine
- Organizer, Annual Somali Graduation & Scholarship Program
- Faculty Advisor, Somali Students Association at the Ohio State University
- Community economic and workforce development and equal access to opportunities.
- Youth leadership development and enhancing the social capital of new American communities through career and technical education.
- Economic incorporation and civic participation of new Americans in the United States.
- Somali language education and cultural heritage preservation in the Somali diaspora.
- Socio-economic and Geo-political reconstitution of the Somali state.
More at: https://cllc.osu.edu/people/mohamed.196