What is a Service-Learning Course?
Service-learning combines the best of active learning and citizenship by connecting course content with service projects that help the community. It is a powerful way of understanding course material by learning from experience. A service-learning course can help:
- Develop leadership ability and critical thinking skills
- Improve your knowledge of academic subjects
- Expand your world view
- Develop skills for future employment
- Develop personal and social responsibility
How to Find a Service-Learning Course
- See our list of service-learning courses offered at Ohio State. This list contains all S-Designated courses, as well as some other courses known to include a service component. Please note that some courses in this list may have changed without our knowledge, and it is best to confirm with the instructor whether the course still has a service component. You can look for specific types of service-learning courses by using the Categories to the left.
- Find service-learning designated courses via courses.osu.edu:
- Select the appropriate semester and campus
- Make sure the subject section is blank, or select the subject you wish to search within
- Next open the drop down list for “Course Number”
- Select “contains”
- Input the letter S as the course number, so the line reads Course Number contains S
- Click search
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- The Center for Student Service and Leadership provides direct service opportunities for students, connects student organizations with service opportunities, coordinates large-scale service programs such as Make a Difference Day, and provides information about alternative break service trips.
- The Pay It Forward website identifies service sites and projects, helps students track their service hours, and creates a “service resumé” listing all your service at Ohio State.
- The Buckeye Mentoring Hub provides the opportunity to establish a long-term relationship with a child through mentoring and tutoring opportunities near the Columbus campus.