Internship Spotlight: Nicole Tabit

Major: Natural Resource Management

Specialization: Natural Resource Administration and Mangement

Graduation: 2019

Internship: Sierra Club Clean Water Campaign. Columbus, Ohio.

Duration: January 2016-Present

Click Here For More Information

I found the opportunity to work at the Sierra Club at a street festival. I went to Open Streets, a community festival held downtown in the summer, and talked with another intern at the time about the Sierra Club, as she was tabling at the event. I kept the internship in mind for a few weeks, and thought about applying. I actually applied after I went to the SENR career fair and saw the Sierra Club was there, and got to talk to my current supervisor about the details of the position.

Being an intern at the Sierra Club can mean taking part in a variety of activities, some of which are office work, but we also get very involved in local and state-wide environmental issue campaigning. We currently work on a ‘move past plastic campaign’ urging Kasich to take action on plastic bag usage, since plastic is such an issue, especially when it comes to the millions of single-use plastic bags that are used every day. My favorite thing I’ve done so far was working with summer camps this summer. I got to design an environmental education program for summer camp kids and teach them about environmental issues relating to clean water issues, and we got some hands-on experience with water quality testing, which was awesome to teach.

Working at the Sierra Club has taught me how to interact with many different groups of people in my community and actions to take effective action on a stance I believe in. My advice to students looking for an internship or any sort of experience positionin the future is to first take advantage of the networking opportunities that SENR provides, and also stay engaged in your community- that is a great way to make connections that might take you places.