Study Abroad Spotlight- Carrie Ewing

3690_10153882845172386_6965822836968533846_nMajor: Environmental Science (ES)
Specialization: Ecosystem Restoration
Graduation: May 2017

Program: Human Impacts on a Fragile Environment – Antarctica
Location: Antarctic Peninsula        
When: Winter Break December 17th-31st, 2015

After being accepted into the Antarctica study abroad program, I had the privilege of visiting Ushuaia, Argentina, which is known as the “city at the end of the world” and several locations along the Antarctica peninsula. The study abroad group, along with a crewSAM_0593 (1) and other tourists from around the world, travelled byship from Ushuaia to Antarctica. While in Antarctica, we studied the effects humans are having on the wildlife, climate, and landscape of Antarctica. The overarching goal of the project was to determine if ecotourism in Antarctica is sustainable.

This study abroad interested me more than others because I am extremely passionate about climate change, and discovering how SAM_0526humans can indirectly affect remote ecosystems around the world. Since humans cannot permanently live in Antarctica, it was fascinating to study the effects we are still having on the ecosystem. After attending this study abroad, it is my hope that I can spread awareness of the importance of protecting ecosystems and discover new ways to decrease the effects of climate change.

DSC_0192 (1)This experience was truly an adventure that cannot be described in words. Not only did I enjoy the beautiful scenery and exotic wildlife that Antarctica holds, but I enjoyed learning about and seeing a continent that was unlike any other place in the world that can hold so much life in such a barren place. I also enjoyed interacting with the other passengers and crew because it opened my eyes to other cultures and allowed me to have a better understanding of the rest of the world. This trip was undoubtedly the trip of a lifetime