Study Abroad Spotlight: Evan McElhinny

Major: Environment, Economy, Development, and Sustainability (EEDS)Screen Shot 2015-02-25 at 4.32.38 PM
Specialization: Sustainability and Business Graduation: May 2016

SENR Study Abroad- Australia: Sustaining Human Societies and the Environment         3.5 weeks May Session, 2014                     Click Here for more information                                                                                         When I decided to declare a major in EEDS, I wasn’t quite sure what I was getting myself into. I had a limited knowledge about the school and the major and I did not know many people in my classes at the beginning. However, before one of my classes one afternoon an SENR representative gave a presentation about May session study abroad in Australia: Sustaining Human and Natural Systems. Coming into college I had been vehemently opposed to study abroad because I didn’t want to miss out on everything going on around campus. However, study abroad turned out to be a perfect opportunity for me. I wouldn’t have to miss anything since the trip was during May, I could take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to an amazing country, I could meet new people in SENR, and get credit for all of it.

AusieThe trip itself was life changing. I distinctly remember holding my ticket to fly from LA to Sydney (approximately a 14 hour flight) with 30 perfect strangers from Ohio State, and thinking to myself, “What the heck am I doing?” But studying abroad through SENR turned out to be by far, one of the best decisions of my college career. I made friends I won’t soon forget and saw sights I only had previously seen in textbooks; we snorkeled The Great Barrier Reef, kayaked though the rainforest, camped in the outback, and became immersed in Australian culture.

Furthermore, I gained a deeper understanding about how sustainability is crucial not just here us the US, but around the world; it is truly crucial that we attack issues on a global scale, not just here at home. But above all, studying abroad helped me push myself outside of my comfort zone and, as a result, I learned more about myself and my major because of the experience