Student Government – IPC

Over the past few years I have become involved in several student organizations but my involvement in Inter-Professional Council (IPC) has encouraged me to seek different leadership opportunities. Unlike many of the other student organizations, all pharmacy students are a part of IPC because it is the student government representing the six professional colleges on campus: Dentistry, Law, Medicine, Optometry, Pharmacy and Veterinary Medicine.  Each college elects 5 Senators, 1 Justice, and 1 Alternate to serve as IPC representatives.  I was nominated and elected in the spring of my P1 year but actually entered office in the fall of my P2 year.  As a Senator, I attend monthly IPC and biweekly university committee meetings at which I represent the College of Pharmacy and Inter-Professional Council respectively.  Through these meetings and responsibilities I have the opportunity to voice any concerns regarding IPC constituents as well as discuss changes occurring on a university level.

IPC hosts many events throughout the academic year such as Health Professionals Summit and Professional Development Fund.  The Health Professionals Summit is an annual event which invites speakers to present on specific topics influencing healthcare and the Professional Development Fund offers financial reimbursement for students to attend professional conferences or activities.  This year I am serving as IPC Service Committee Chair and organize our annual charity sports events.  In October we held our 10th Annual Charity Soccer Tournament and raised funds to support hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico through UNICEF. Excitingly, one of the pharmacy student teams walked away with the trophy this year, GO PHARMACY!!!! IPC also hosts several social events to encourage all inter-professional students to interact and have fun with activities such as laser tag or bowling.  Thanks to IPC, I have been able to meet and work with other professional students.

I never imagined I would be so involved in student government, however, IPC has been such a unique and great experience.  Through my positions in IPC, I continue to build skills and relationships every day.

Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific questions about student government or IPC.

-TaLeitha

varner.73@osu.edu