“My Internship at Mount Carmel West”

Hi All! One of our new Ambassador Coordinators, Ashley Erdmann has a blog post for you today.  Please enjoy this post on her behalf about her hospital internship.

My Internship at Mount Carmel West

One of the greatest components of being a pharmacy student at The Ohio State University are the tremendous internship opportunities around Columbus. It seems that no matter what you are interested in, there is a perfect internship for you!

Before I started my P1 year, I had worked as a technician in a community pharmacy for over six years. I loved working in a community setting, where I got to know our patients and talk to them about not only their medications, but their lives as well. The profession of pharmacy has a large humanistic component associate with it, which is something I have always admired. However, I knew that I wanted to branch out and experience other facets of pharmacy, for I knew that it would help me become a more well-rounded professional. I decided that I wanted to obtain a hospital internship, as I am interested in residency, but had no prior hospital experience! And so, the search for internships began!

I started my internship at Mount Carmel West Hospital this past June, and since then, I have been able to perfect my aseptic technique and I have been trained in IV preparations as well as chemotherapy preparations. This has been especially useful, since I was able to get exposure in sterile compounding before we started it in P2 lab this year!

My assigned preceptor is one of  best parts of my internship. She is an OSU PharmD graduate and is a fantastic pharmacist! Whenever we work together, she quizzes me on diseases, therapy options, interactions, and contraindications. She uniquely parallels the material we are learning in class with real-life examples and discussions. I have been fortunate enough to follow her to the Emergency Department when traumas arrive in the trauma bay, to witness her calmly assist the healthcare team, dose and prepare life saving medications in a tense and chaotic environment. These experiences have helped solidify my interest in working as a hospital pharmacist, and I am now leaning toward finding an emergency medicine rotation.

In addition, as a part of my internship, I have created drug monographs to be distributed around the hospital. This activity is an especially important educational component for the nursing team! It gives them a concise but necessary amount of information on common formulary drugs distributed in the hospital.

I have been able to immerse myself in a completely new pharmacy setting which has helped me find my passion. The opportunities for pharmacy students in Columbus are endless. I am excited to develop my skills as an intern and to take on more projects. If you have any questions about internships or working for Mount Carmel, please let me know!

-Ashley

erdmann.13@osu.edu”