Finding Fit

Hey everyone!

One thing that I feel is very important in deciding which school you go to is determining which place you feel is a good fit. Now everyone may have different ideas of what “fit” means to them. Here is what fit means to me:

1. A place that feels like it could be home. Because let’s face it, pharmacy school isn’t going to be rainbows and butterflies. Having a place that provides comfort and support really helps with the (frequent) times of stress.
  2. A university that is more than just a pharmacy school.  I wanted a university that had more to offer than just professional school. Having football, other professional schools, a huge medical center, and so much more was so important to me. OSU has so many organizations outside of pharmacy! All you have to do is explore. 🙂
  3. Students and faculty that are warm and inviting, yet experts in their fields (for faculty! Students will get there one day!). Knowing that students and faculty reach out to new students and are willing to interact and help students in any way was really important to me. I wanted to know that the students and faculty here are people I could really mesh with. Gauging this at your interview day is important. I loved the casual, laid-back nature of my interview here, but professionalism was everywhere and within everyone.
  4. Location. Fit to me was being in a location that offered the same things my hometown did. I am from a large city, and so I wanted to have access to all the conveniences that cities have to offer. I knew a good place for me wouldn’t be in a small town. Plus a city like Columbus has so much to offer! There are constantly festivals, food, and so much more. Check out some of our other blog posts about Columbus!

My best advice for deciding which school to attend is this: go with your gut. What school makes a good fit for you and can feel like home to you? For me, I applied to schools and based everything off logic for applications. But my decision to go here was that it truly felt like it could be my home for the next 4 years. Honestly, I was not expecting to fall in love with OSU COP before my interview, but it was the best decision I could have made.

At the end of the day, you need to determine what fit means to you. Stop looking at schools like they are just numbers and look at fit during your interviews. You won’t regret going to a school that feels like a home away from home! And remember that your interviews are just as much as you interviewing the school as the school interviewing you.

Good luck!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at sakai.22@osu.edu.

photo2cropped