Family/Parental Leave

All Ohio State postdoctoral scholars are ineligible for paid parental leave (researcher and fellows). Postdoctoral fellows are ineligible for sick leave or FMLA benefits. 

2Alternatives to Family/Parental Leave: Please contact your HR representative and specifically ask them what type of “leave” you would be using if you needed time off to take care of a new child.

  • Accumulated sick leave
  • Disability (if you have been paying for that benefit)
  • Vacation
  • Unpaid leave

Under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) you may be allowed to take 12 weeks of unpaid leave for the birth or adoption of a child. Eligibility is for FMLA coverage is granted to employees who have been at Ohio State for at least 12 months.

You may be able to take extra leave beyond the granted 12 weeks of unpaid leave. This is at the discretion of your supervisor. Three options are:

  • Personal reasons: you may ask for unpaid leave from your supervisor, or receive compensation from accrued vacation or comp time
  • Medical reasons (personal): for compensation, first use accrued sick leave and then vacation or comp time. Short term or long term disability may also be options. You may request an unpaid medical leave of absence once all leave time is exhausted or if you have an approved STD or LTD claim. You must provide medical documentation. Contact Integrated Absence Management and Vocational Services at 614-292-3439 to apply for disability benefits.
  • Medical reasons (for an immediate family member): example – your baby has developed a serious health condition. For compensation, first use accrued sick leave and then vacation or comp time. You may request an unpaid personal leave of absence (to be approved by your supervisor) and you must provide medical documentation.