The Office of Human Resources provides live webinars titled Health and Welfare Benefits as well as Retirement Choices every month.
Click on the calendar for descriptions of the webinars and to find out when the next ones will be offered.
You can also find videos about your benefits as an employee at Ohio State here.
General information: The university’s benefit eligibility tool is a useful way to determine available benefits at a quick glance across all types of appointment classifications (employee groups). Details about particular categories of benefits are also available. Click on the Employee Information Definitions drop-down menu to understand the criteria you must pick to determine the benefits associated with your position.
*Note: for the Employee Information Definitions drop-down menu, you must select your position:
For postdoctoral fellows, the other two criteria (FTE and appointment type) appear automatically after you choose postdoctoral fellow as your classification.
For postdoctoral researchers, the other two criteria typically are 100% FTE and Regular or Term appointment. However, we strongly suggest that you double check your FTE and appointment type with your human resources representative.
- Postdoctoral Researcher (job code 6504)
- Note about retirement: Postdocs with a 75%-100% appointment (100% equaling full-time employment) have 120 days to select a retirement plan. In addition, the OSU Office of Human Resources hosts information sessions that can help you select the plan that best fits your particular situation. Visit their site for more information. Each postdoc will have personal considerations and preferences that will factor into this decision. Take note of the time it takes to become vested in the various plans since postdoctoral positions are by definition temporary.
- Postdoctoral Fellow (job code 6500)
- The benefits eligibility of Postdoc Fellows is limited by their non-employee status. See “Understanding the two postdoctoral job titles” above for an explanation of that distinction.
- To help postdoctoral fellows and faculty advisors with conversations about leave we created the resource below