Peer-refereed journal articles (2013 – present)
- In press. Miller, H.J., “GIScience, fast and slow: Why faster geographic information is not always smarter,” Progress in Human Geography.
- In press. Miller, H.J., Jaegal, Y. and Raubal, M., “Measuring the geometric and semantic similarity of space-time prisms using temporal signatures,” Annals of the American Association of Geographers.
- 2019. Mahmoudi, M., Song, Y., Miller, H.J. and Zhou, X. “Accessibility with time and resource constraints: Computing hyper-prisms for sustainable transportation planning,” Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 73, 171-183.
- 2019. Proffitt, D., Bartholomew, K., Ewing, R. and Miller, H.J., “Accessibility planning in American metropolitan areas: Are we there yet?” Urban Studies, 56, 167-192
- 2018. Werner, C.M., Brown, B.B., Stump, T., Tribby, C.P., Jensen, W., Miller, H.J., Strebel, A. and Messina, A. (2018) “Street use and design: Daily rhythms on four streets that differ in rated walkability,” Journal of Urban Design, 23, 603-619.
- 2018. Lee, J. and Miller, H.J., “Measuring the impacts of new public transit services on space-time accessibility: An analysis of transit system redesign and new bus rapid transit in Columbus, Ohio, USA,” Applied Geography, 93, 47-63
- 2018. Miller, H.J. “Mesogeography: Social physics, GIScience and the quest for geographic knowledge,” Progress in Human Geography, 42, 600-609.
- 2017. Song, Y., Miller, H.J., Stempihar, J. and Zhou, X., “Green accessibility: Estimating the environmental costs of network-time prisms for sustainable transportation planning,” Journal of Transport Geography, 64, 109-119.
- 2017. Kuijpers, B., Miller, H.J. and Othman, W., “Kinetic prisms: incorporating acceleration limits into space-time prisms,” International Journal of Geographic Information Science, 31, 2164-2194.
- 2017. Miller H.J. “Geographic information observatories and opportunistic GIScience,” Progress in Human Geography, 41, 489-500.
- 2017. Tribby C.P., Miller H.J., Brown B.B., Smith K.R. and Werner C.M. “Geographic regions for assessing built environmental correlates with walking trips: A comparison using different metrics and model designs,” Health and Place, 45, 1-9.
- 2016. Tribby C.P., Miller H.J., Brown B.B., Werner C.M. and Smith K.R. “Analyzing walking route choice through built environments using random forests and discrete choice techniques,” Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design.
- 2016. Brown B.B., Smith K.R., Tharp D.S., Werner, C.M., Tribby, C.P., Miller, H.J. and Jensen, W. “A complete street intervention for walking to transit, non-transit walking, and bicycling: A quasi-experimental demonstration of increased use,” Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 13, 1210-1219.
- 2016. Miller H.J. and Tolle K., “Big data for healthy cities: Using location-aware technologies, open data and 3D urban models to design healthier built environments,” Built Environment, 42, 441-456
- 2016. Brown B.B., Werner C.M., Smith K.R., Tribby C.P., Miller H.J., Jensen W. and Tharp D.S. “Environmental, behavioral, and psychological predictors of transit ridership: Evidence from a community intervention. Journal of Environmental Psychology,
- 2016. Brown, B.B., Tharp, D., Tribby, C.P., Smith, K.R., Miller, H.J., Werner, C.M. ‘Changes in bicycling over time associated with a new bike lane: Relations with kilocalories energy expenditure and body mass index,” Journal of Transport and Health, 3, 357-365.
- 2016. Tang J., Song Y., Miller H.J. and Zhou X. “Estimating the most likely space-time paths, dwell times and path uncertainties from vehicle trajectory data: A time geographic method,” Transportation Research C, 66, 176-194.
- 2016. Song Y., Miller H.J., Zhou X. and Proffitt D.“Modeling visit probabilities within network time prisms using Markov techniques,” Geographical Analysis, 48, 18-42.
- 2016. Werner C.M., Brown B.B., Tribby C.P., Tharp D.S., Flick K., Miller H.J., Smith K.R. and Jensen W. (2016) “Evaluating the attractiveness of a new light rail extension: Testing simple change and displacement change hypotheses,” Transport Policy, 45, 5–23.
- 2016. Tribby C.P., Miller H.J., Brown B.B., Werner C.M. and Smith K.R. “Assessing built environment walkability using activity space summary measures,” Journal of Transport and Land Use, 9, 1-21.
- 2015. Miller H.J. “Space-time data science for a speedy world,” I/S: A Journal of Law and Policy for the Information Society, 10, 705-720.
- 2015. Farber S., O’Kelly M.E., Miller H.J. and Neutens T. “Measuring segregation using patterns of daily travel behavior: a social interaction based model of exposure,” Journal of Transport Geography, 49, 26-38.
- 2015. Tong L., Zhou X. and Miller H.J. “Transportation network design for maximizing space-time accessibility,” Transportation Research B, 81, 555-576.
- 2015. Miller H.J., Tribby C.P., Brown B.B., Smith K.R., Werner C.M., Wolf J., Wilson L. and Oliveira M.G.S. “Public transit generates new physical activity: Evidence from individual GPS and accelerometer data before and after light rail construction in a neighborhood of Salt Lake City, Utah, USA,” Health and Place, 26, 8 – 17.
- 2015. Miller H.J. and Shaw, S.-L. “Geographic information systems for transportation in the 21st century,” Geography Compass, 9, 180-189.
- 2015. Brown B.B., Werner C.M., Tribby C.P., Miller H.J. and Smith K.R. “Transit use, physical activity, and body mass index changes: Objective measures associated with Complete Street light rail construction,” American Journal of Public Health, 105, 1468-1474
- 2015. Miller H.J. and Goodchild, M.F. “Data-driven geography,” GeoJournal, 80, 449-461.
- 2014. Hu Y., Miller H.J. and Xiang Li, “Detecting and analyzing mobility hotspots using surface networks,” Transactions in GIS, 18, 911-935.
- 2014. Brown B.B., Werner C.M., Smith K.R., Tribby C.P. and Miller H.J. “Physical activity mediates the relationship between perceived crime safety and obesity,” Preventive Medicine, 66, 140–144.
- 2014. Brown B.B., Wilson L., Tribby C.P., Werner C.M., Wolf J., Miller H.J., Smith K.R. “Adding maps (GPS) to accelerometry data to improve study participants’ recall of physical activity: A methodological advance in physical activity research,” British Journal of Sports Medicine, 48, 1054-1058.
- 2014. Ahas R., Miller H.J. and Witlox F. “Mobility, communication and urban space,” Journal of Urban Technology, (guest editors’ introduction to Mobile Tartu 2012 special issue), 21, 1-7
- 2014. Song Y. and Miller H.J. “Simulating visit probability distributions within planar space-time prisms,” International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 28, 104-125.
- 2014. Jeong M.-H., Duckham M., Allison Kealy, Miller H.J. and Peisker A. “Decentralized and coordinate-free computation of critical points and surface networks in a discretized scalar field,” International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 28, 1-21.
- 2013. Miller H.J. “Beyond sharing: Cultivating cooperative transportation systems through geographic information science,” Journal of Transport Geography, 31, 296-308.
- 2013. Tribby C.P., Miller H.J., Song Y. and Smith K.R. “Do air quality alerts reduce traffic? An analysis of traffic data from the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, Utah, USA,” Transport Policy, 30, 173-185.
Peer-refereed conference proceedings (2013 – present)
Book chapters (2013 – present)
- 2019. Miller, H.J., Song, Y. and Tribby, C.P. “Green, healthy time geography: Using time geographic concepts for sustainable mobility research,” in K. Ellegård (ed.) Time Geography in Global Context: An Anthology, Taylor and Francis, 75-95.
- 2018. Miller, H. J., “Time geography,” in D. R. Montello (ed.), Handbook of Behavioral and Cognitive Geography, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar, 74-94.
- 2017. Miller H.J. “Theories and models in urban transportation planning,” in S. Hanson and G. Giuliano (eds.) The Geography of Urban Transportation, 4th edition, Guilford, 113-138.
- 2017. Miller H.J., “Time geography and space-time prism,” in D. Richardson, N. Castree, M. F. Goodchild, A. Kobayashi, W. Liu and R. A. Marston (eds.) International Encyclopedia of Geography, Wiley, DOI: 10.1002/9781118786352.wbieg0431.
- 2017. Miller H.J., “Spatial data analytics,” in Rob Kitchin, Tracey P. Lauriault, Matthew W. Wilson (eds.) Understanding Spatial Media, Sage, 149-157.
- 2015. Miller H.J. “Location: Absolute and relative,” in J. D. Wright (ed.) The International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edition, Vol. 14 Elsevier, 284-286.
- 2015. Miller H.J. “Spatio-temporal knowledge discovery,” in C. Brunsdon and A. Singleton (eds.) Geocomputation: A Practical Primer, Sage, 97-109.
- 2015. Song Y. and Miller H.J. “Beyond the boundary: New insights from inside the space-time prism,” in M-P. Kwan, D. Wang, C. Zhou and D. Richardson (eds.) Space-time Integration in Geography and GIScience: Research Frontiers in the US and China, Springer, 189-209.
- 2014. Miller H.J., “Activity-based analysis,” in M. Fischer and P. Nijkamp (eds.) Handbook of Regional Science, Springer, 705-724.
- 2014. Kobayashi T. and Miller H.J. “Exploratory visualization of collective mobile objects data using temporal granularity and spatial similarity,” in G. Cervone, J. Lin and N. Waters (eds.) Data Mining for Geoinformatics: Methods and Applications, Springer, 127-154.
- 2018 – 2019. Miller, H.J., Hyder, A. and Southerland, L. “Franklin County Opioid Crisis Activity Levels (FOCAL) map,” Opioid Innovation Fund, Office of Academic Affairs, The Ohio State University.
- 2016 – 2018. Bohrer G., Miller H.J. (PI) and Miller J.A., “Advancing movement and mobility science by bridging research on human mobility and animal movement ecology,” (BCS 1560727) National Science Foundation.
- 2015 – 2017. Miller H.J. (PI) and O’Kelly M.E, “Estimating external travel using purchased third party data,” Ohio Department of Transportation.
- 2013 – 2015. Cashden E.A. (PI), Creem-Regehr S., Miller H.J. and Stefanucci J. “Age changes and sex differences in spatial cognition: Testing the role of mobility in three non-industrial societies and the US,” Interdisciplinary Behavioral and Social Science Research, National Science Foundation.
- 2013 – 2015. Farber S. (PI), Miller H.J. and O’Kelly M.E. “Collaborative Research: Interaction potential and the social and economic vibrancy of metropolitan regions,” Geography and Spatial Sciences program, National Science Foundation.
- 2012 – 2015. Bartholomew K., Miller H.J. (PI) and Zhou X. “Green accessibility: Measuring the environmental costs of space-time prisms in sustainable transportation planning” (BCS-1224102), Geography and Spatial Sciences and Environmental Sustainability programs, National Science Foundation.
- 2011 – 2016. Brown B.B. (PI), Miller H.J., Smith K.R. and Werner C.M. “Complete the streets 3 ways: Effects on Activity and BMI” (1R01CA157509-01), Obesity Policy Research: Evaluation and Measures, National Institutes of Health.