An Annotated Bibliography of Chinese Film Studies. Ed. Jim Cheng. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2004.
Bettinson, Gary, ed. Directory of World Cinema, China. Bristol: Intellect, 2012.
Bettinson, Gary, ed. Directory of World Cinema, China 2. Bristol: Intellect, 2015. [MCLC Resource Center review by Hongmei Yu]
The Chinese Filmography. Ed. Donald J. Marion. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1997. [includes descriptive information of 2444 PRC feature films from 1949-1995]
Donald, Stephanie. “Chinese Taipei Film Archive.” Screeing the Past 4 (1998).
Encyclopedia of Chinese Film. Eds. Yingjin Zhang and Zhiwei Xiao. London and NY: Routledge, 1998.
The Encyclopedia of Martial Arts Movies. Ed. Bill Palmer. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1995.
Historical Dictionary of Chinese Film. Eds. Tan Ye and Yun Zhu. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2012.
[Abstract: Motion pictures were first introduced to China in 1896 and today China has become a major player in the film industry. However, the story of how Chinese cinema became what it is today is an exceptionally turbulent one. It encompasses incursions by foreign powers, warfare among contending rulers, the collapse of the Chinese empire, and the massive setback of the Cultural Revolution. The Historical Dictionary of Chinese Cinema covers the history of Chinese cinema from its very beginning in 1896 to the present. This is done through a chronology, an introductory essay, appendixes, and an extensive bibliography. The dictionary section contains several hundred cross-referenced dictionary entries on films, directors, and historical figures. This book is an excellent access point for anyone interested in Chinese cinema and for scholars interested in investigating ideas for future research.]
Historical Dictionary of Hong Kong Film. Ed. Lisa Odham Stokes. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
[Abstract: provides essential facts and descriptive evaluation concerning Hong Kong filmmaking and its filmmaking community. This is accomplished through the use of a chronology, a list of acronyms and abbreviations, an introductory essay, illustrations of individuals and film stills, a bibliography, and hundreds of cross-referenced dictionary entries on directors, producers, writers, actors, films, film companies, genres, and terminology. Having perused this, readers will not only know considerably more about a rather amazing place, they will have an almost palpable feeling for how it works.]
Historical Dictionary of Taiwan Cinema. Ed. Daw-Ming Lee. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2013.
The Hong Kong Filmography, 1977-1997: A Complete Reference to 1,100 Films Produced by British Hong Kong Studios. By John Charles. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2000.
The Hong Kong Filmography. 3 vols. [vol. I: 1913-1941, vol. II: 1941-1949, vol. III: 1950-1952]. HK: HK Film Archive, 1997.
Minguo shiqi dianying zazhi huibian 民国时期电影杂志汇编 (Compendium of Republican era film journals). Ed. Shanghai tushuguan. 166 册. Beijing: Guojia tushuguan, 2013.
[Abstract: reprints of Republican era journals: 影戲雜志 1921; 電影 1922; 電影雜志 1924-05; 明星特刊 1925-05-01; 影戲春秋 1925-03-01; 紫羅蘭?電影號 1926-05-26; 銀星 1926-09-01; 中國電影雜志 1927-01-01; 電影月報 1928-04-01; 影戲雜志 1929-07-01; 影戲生活 1930-12-26;《歌女紅牡丹》特刊 1931-04-10; 電聲日報 1932-05-01; 電影藝術 1932-07-08; 聯華畫報 1933-01-01; 現代電影 1933-03-01; 金城?天壹影片公司特刊 1934-04-01; 青青電影 1934-04-15; 時代電影 1934-06-05; 影迷周報 1934-09-26; 明星月報 1933-05-01; 矛盾月刊?映畫《春蠶》之批判特輯 1933-11-01; 良友?電影專刊 1934-12-15; 文藝電影 1935-01-01;《紅羊豪俠傳》特刊 1935-02-02; 電通 1935-05-16; 電影生活 1935-06-05; 藝聲：電影與音樂 1935-; 電影?演劇 1935-07-01; 婦人畫報?電影特大號 1935-08-25; 影壇 1935-09-15; 西北電影 1935-12-15; 新華畫報 1936-06-05; 電影?戲劇 1936-10-10; 影與戲 1936-12-10; 舞台銀幕 1937-03-10; 明星特寫 1937-05-01; 藝文線?“新地”特輯 1937-07; 國光影訊 1937-10-22; 電星 1938-01-01; 抗戰電影 1938-03-31; 亞洲影訊 1938-08-03; 金城月刊 1938-; 文獻?日本侵略中國電影的陰謀特輯 1939-01-10; 電影新聞 1939-03-03; 電影世界 1939-05-01; 中國藝壇畫報 1939-06-10; 今日中國?戰時電影特刊 1939-; 中國影訊 1940-03-22; 大衆影訊 1940-07-13; 金星特刊 1940-09-05; 中蘇文化雜志?蘇聯戲劇電影專號 1940-10-10; 中國電影 1941-01-01; 銀鑾殿 1941-04-25; 電影與戲劇 1941-01-01; 影壇春秋 1941-08-01; 國聯影訊 1941-09-26; 電影與播音 1942-03-15; 新影壇 1942-11-14電影 1946-01-01; 米高梅影訊 1946-08-05; 華影周刊 1943-06-23; 上海影壇 1943-10-10; 昆侖影訊 1947-08-01; 電影雜志 1947-10-01; 電影論壇 1947-11-01; 電影話劇 1948-02-01; 電影小說 1948-04-21; 劇影春秋 1948-08-11; 影劇叢刊 1948-09-30; 影劇天地 1948-10-16; 水銀燈 1948-12-25; 影劇新地 1949-08-16]
Once Upon a Time in China: A Guide to Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and Mainland Chinese Cinema. Ed. Jeff Yang. NY: Simon and Schuster, 2003.
Quanguo baokan dianying wenzhang mulu suoyin 1949-1979 全国报刊电影文章目录索引 1940-1979 (Index of articles on film from periodicals around the country). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1983.
Quanguo baokan dianying wenzhang mulu suoyin 1980-1989 全国报刊电影文章目录索引 1980-1989 (Index of articles on film from periodicals around the country). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1994.
Quanguo baokan dianying wenzhang mulu suoyin 1990-1994 全国报刊电影文章目录索引 1990-1994 (Index of articles on film from periodicals around the country). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1999.
Renmin daxue shubao ziliao zhongxin baokan ziliao xuanhui: dianying, dianshi yanjiu 人民大学书报资料中心报刊资料选匯: 电影, 电视研究 (People’s University books and journals resource center, journals material selections: Film and film research). Beijing: Renmin daxue.
Shanghai dianying zhi 上海电影志 (Record of Shanghai film). Shanghai: Shanghai shehui kexue yuan, 1999.
Yang Yuanying, ed. Tamen de shengyin 她们的声音 (Their voices). Beijing: Zhongguo shehui, 1996. [autobiographies of Chinese women directors]
Zhang Wei, Ying Xian, and Chen Jing. “Zhongguo xiandai dianying chubanwu zongmu tiyao” 中国现代电影出版物总目提要 (A concise listing of modern Chinese film publications). Shanghai dianying 1 (Oct. 1992): 212-34; 2/3 (May 1993): 289-344.
Zhongguo dabaike quanshu: dianying 中国大百科全书: 电影 (The complete encyclopedia of China: film). Beijing: Zhongguo dabaike quanshu, 1991.
Zhongguo dianying da cidian 中国电影大辞典 (Encyclopedia of Chinese film). Eds. Zhang Junxiang and Cheng Jihua. Shanghai: Shanghai cishu, 1995.
Zhongguo dianying haibao yishu jingcui 中国电影海报艺术精粹 (Selections of poster arts in Chinese film). Guangzhou: Guangzhou chubanshe, 1996.
Zhongguo dianyingjia liezhuan 中国电影家列传 (Biographies of Chinese filmmakers). 10 volumes. Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1982-86.
Zhongguo dianying nianjian 中国电影年鉴 (Yearbook of Chinese film). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1982-.
Zhongguo dianying tu shi 中国电影图史 (Chinese film: an illustrated history). Beijing: Zhongguo chuanmei daxue, 2007.
[Abstract: nearly 1000 pages in length, this lavishly illustrated volume contains hundreds of entries arranged in chronological order on films, actors, studios, magazines, etc. Has an excellent index. The best volume of its kind]
Zhongguo dianying tuzhi 中国电影图志 (Illustrated record of Chinese film). Ed. Cheng Ping. Zhuhai: Zhuhai chubanshe, 1995.
[Abstract: this is a wonderful illustrated book, with numerous film stills, posters, photographs, etc, of the history of Chinese film.]
Zhongguo dianying yanjiu ziliao 1949-1979 中国电影研究资料 1949-1979 (Research materials on Chinese film, 1949-1979). Ed. Wu Di 吴迪. 3 vols. Beijing: Wenhua yishu, 2006.
[Abstract: excellent source of materials for the study of Mao era film]
Zhongguo renmin gongheguo dianying shiye sanshiwunian, 1949-84. 中国人民共和国电影事业三十五年，1949-84 (Thirty-five years of the Chinese film industry 1949-84). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1985.
Zhongguo shaoshu minzu dianying 中国少数民族电影 (Chinese minority films). Kunming: Yunnan renmin, 1996.
Zhongguo xiandai dianying qika quanmu shuzhi 中国电影期刊全目书志 (Complete Chinese modern movie periodical abstracts (1921-1949). Ed. Shanghai tushuguan, Shanghai: Shanghai kexue jishu wenxian, 2009.
[Abstract: An annotated list of film journals from the Republican era. Entries include information about the publication, when it published, coverage, etc. The book is lavishily illustrated with journal covers and example pages from the insides of journals]
Zhongguo xiandai xiju dianying yishujia zhuan 中国现代戏剧电影艺术家传 (Biographies of modern Chinese theater and film artists). Jiangxi renmin, 1981.
Zhongguo yingpian dadian 中国影片大典 (Encyclopedia of Chinese film). 4 vols. Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1996-98. [v. 1. 1905-1930; v. 2. 1931-1949; v. 3. 1949-1976; v. 4. 1977-1994].
Zhongguo yishu yingpian bianmu 1949-1979 中国艺术影片编目 1949-1979 (A catalogue of Chinese art films 1949-79). 2 vols. Beijing: Wenhua yishu, 1981.
Zhongguo yintan xin ren lu 中国银坛新人录 (New faces in the Chinese film scene). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1984.
Zhongguo zaoqi dianying huakan 中国早期电影画刊 (Illustrated magazines of Chinese early film). 12 vols. Beijing: Quan guo tushuguan wenxiansuowei fuzhi zhong xin, 2004-.
[Abstract: reprints of important Republican era film journals: Yingxi zazhi 影戏杂志, Dianying zazhi 电影杂志, Dianying yuekan 电影月刊, Xin yinxing, Xiandai dianying 现代电影, Wenyi dianying 文艺电影, Dianying shenghuo 电影生活, Dianying xinwen 电影新闻, Shidai dianying 时代电影, Xin yingtan 新影坛, Shanghai yingtan 上海影坛, Dianying shijie 电影世界, Ying xun 影讯, Dianying 电影, Qingnian dianying 青年电影, Yingju yishu 影剧艺术, Yinmu zazhi 银幕杂志, Kangzhan dianying 抗战电影]
Interviews (interviews with directors who have individual sections in the bibliography are listed in the relevant section)
Aguilar, Claire and Chris Berry. “Cheng Jihua and Chen Mei Interviewed: China’s Film Policy Now.” Jump Cut 31 (1986): 51-53.
Berry, Chris. “Interview with Zhang Nuanxin.” Camera Obscura 18 (Sept. 1988):20-25.
—– “Interview with Peng Xiaolian.” Camera Obscura 18 (Sept. 1988): 26-31.
—– “Interview with Hu Mei.” Camera Obscura 18 (Sept 1988):32-41.
—–. “Dis-located: Huang Jianxin Talks to Chris Berry.” Cinemaya 11 (1991): 20-23.
Berry, Michael, ed. Speaking in Images: Interviews with Contemporary Chinese Filmmakers. NY: Columbia University Press, 2005. [CUP abstract]
Lent, John. “Teach for a While, Direct for a While: An Interview with Xie Fei.” Asian Cinema 8, 2 (Winter 1996-97): 91-97.
Reid, Craig D. “An Evening with Jackie Chan.” Bright Lights Film Journal 13 (1994): 18-25.
Semsel, George. “An Interview with Teng Wenji.” Jump Cut 34 (1988):110-116.
—–. “Cheng Jihua and Li Shaobai, Pioneers in Chinese Film Studies: Interview II.” Asian Cinema 10, 2 (Spring/Summer 1999): 91-95.
Shen, Vivian. “Cheng Jihua, Pioneer in Chinese Film Studies: Interview I.” Asian Cinema 10, 2 (Spring/Summer 1999): 87-90.
Sterritt, David. “Exploring Women’s Lot in Changing Culture: Interview with Chinese Director Xie Fei.” Christian Science Monitor 1 (Apr. 1997): 14.
Stone, Judy. Eye on the World: Conversations with International Filmmakers. Los Angeles: Silman-James Press, 1997. (Contains interviews with: Chang Chun-hsiang, Chen Kaige, Ding Jiao, Carma Hinton, Hu Mei, Li Jun, Tian Zhuangzhuang, Wu Tianming, Zhang Yimou, Zhou Xiaowen; Ang Lee)
Sun, Shaoyi and Li Xun, eds. Lights! Action! Kai shi!: In Depth Interviews with China’s New Generation of Move Directors. Norwalk, CT: Eastbridge, 2008.
[includes interviews with Guan Hu, Jia Zhangke, Jiang Wen, Jin Chen, Li Xin, Liu Binjian, Lou Ye, Lu Chuan, Lu Xuecheng, Ma Liwen, Meng Qi, Shi Runjiu, Tang Danian, Wang Chao, Wang Guangli, Wang Quanan, Wang Xiaoshuai, Xu Jinglei, Zhang Ming, Zhang Yang, and Zhang Yuan]
Bashan yeyu: cong juben dao dianying (Night Rain of the River: from play to film). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1982.
Chen, Kaige. The Yellow Earth: A Film by Chen Kaige with a Complete Translation of the Filmscript. Tr. Bonnie S. Mcdougall. HK: Chinese University Press, 1991.
Chen, Kaige and Wan Zhi. King of the Children. London: Faber, 1989.
Dianying wenxue juben xuan 电影文学剧本选 (Selection of literary film scripts). Beijing: Zhongguo shehui kexue, 1982. [contemporary PRC films scripts]
Girl Basketball Player No. 5–Film Script. Dir. Xie Jin. Trs. Tim McCahill and Tom Moran. (a translation with stills of Xie Jin’s 1957 film Nulan wuhao). MCLC Resource Center Publication, December 2005.
The Girl in Red: A Study Guide for the Film. Ed. Vivian Ling. Ann Arbor: Center for Chinese Studies, University of Michigan, 1994.
The Goddess. Dir. Wu Yonggang. Tr. Yomi Braester (University of Washington, Seattle)
Hai Mo. Hai Mo dianying juben xuanji (Selected film scripts of Hai Mo). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1979.
Heipao shijian: cong xiaoshuo dao dianying 黑炮事件: 从小说到电影 (Black Cannon Incident: from novel to film). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1988.
Jiangxi dianying juben xin zuo xuan 江西电影剧本新作选 (Selection of recent film scripts from Jiangxi). Pub? [includes articles about the films]
Ke Ling. Ke Ling dianying juben xuanji (Selected film scripts of Ke Ling). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1980.
Long Live the Missus! Tr. Christopher Rea. MCLC Resource Center Publication, 2019.
New Woman. Dir. Cai Chusheng. Tr. Eileen Chow. MCLC Resource Center Publication, 2004.
“The Opium War–A Film Story.” Chinese Literature (Autumn 1998).
Pai Hua [Bai Hua]. Pai Hua’s Cinematic Script ‘Unrequited Love’: With Related Introductory Materials. Taipei: Institute of Current China Studies, 1981.
Stanley Rosen, ed. “‘The Troubleshooters,’ by Wang Shuo.” Chinese Education and Society 31, 1 (January-February 1998). [translation of the filmscript with an editorial introduction]
Spring in a Small Town. Dir Fei Mu. Tr. Andrew Jones. MCLC Resource Center Publication, 2000.
Street Angel. Dir. Yuan Muzhi. Tr. Andrew Jones. MCLC Resource Center Publication, 2000.
A Study Manual for the Movie, To Live. Ed. Delin Zhao. Oberlin, OH: Oberlin College, 1996.
Tansuo dianying ji (A collection of exploratory films). Shanghai: Shanghai wenyi, 1987. [contains films scripts of several Fifth Generation films (includingHeipao shijian)]
Tian Han. Tian Han wenji (The works of Tian Han). 12 vols. [contains 8 scripts by Tian Han; includes critical articles and reminiscences]
—–. Tian Han dianying juben xuanji (Selected films scripts of Tian Han). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1983.
Tianyunshan chuanqi: cong xiaoshuo dao dianying (The Legend of Tianyun Mountain: from novel to film). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1983.
Under the Bridge: A Study Guide for the Film. Ed. Vivian Ling. Ann Arbor: Center for Chinese Studies, University of Michigan, 1994.
The White-Haired Girl–Film Script. Trs. Pete Nestor and Tom Moran. MCLC Resource Center Publication (February 2006). [a translation with stills of the 1950 classic Bai mao nu]
Writing with Shadows: The Special Role of Film Scripts. Special issue of Renditions 71 (Spring 2009).
[with translations of excerpts from the following films:The New Woman; Spring in a Small Town; Stage Sisters; Chunmiao; Sha Ou; Neighbours; Blood-Red Morning; In the Heat of the Sun; Made in Hong Kong; Hero] [Table of Contents]
Wu Si yilai dianying juben xuanji (Selections of films scripts from the May Fourth on). 2 vols. Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1979. [contains scripts of important progressive films of the 30s and 40s]
Xijupian juben xuanji (Selected scripts of comedy films). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1982.
Xiaoshuo, shi, ying, shi (Fiction, poetry, film and television). Shanxi renmin, 1986. [contains literary versions for several important post-Mao films]
Yang Hansheng. Yang Hansheng dianying juben xuanji (Selected films scripts of Yang Hansheng). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1981.
Zheng, Yi and Wu Tianming. “Old Well” (Laojing). In Haiping Yan, ed., Theater and Society: An Anthology of Contemporary Chinese Drama. Armonk: M.E.Sharpe, 1998, 262-335.
Zhongguo dianying juben xuanji (Selected Chinese film scripts). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1959- [this is a multi-volumed set of PRC film scripts from 1950 to the present]
Zhongguo wusheng dianying juben (Film scripts of Chinese silent movies). 3 vols. Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1996.
Zhongguo xin wenxue daxi (Comprehensive anthology of modern Chinese literature). 10 vols. Hongkong: Hongkong wenxue yanjiu she, [vol. 10 of this series contains scripts of classic leftist films of of the thirties]
Zhongguo xin wenxue daxi (Anthology of modern Chinese literature). 20 vols. Shanghai: Shanghai wenyi, 1984. [vols. 17 and 18 contains scripts of films of the 30s; more comprehensive and ideologically liberal than the above]
Zhufu: cong xiaoshuo dao dianying (New Year’s Sacrifice: from short story to film). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 1959.
Andrew, Dudley. The Major Film Theories: An Introduction. London: Oxford UP, 1976.
—–. Concepts in Film Theory. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1984.
Arnheim, Rudolf. Film as Art. Berkeley: U.C. Press, 1957.
Balazs, Bela. Theory of the Film: Character and Growth of a New Art. London: Dobson, 1952.
Bazin, Andre. What is Cinema I and II. Berkeley: U.C.Press, 1967, 1971.
Bordwell, David. Film Art: An Introduction. N.Y: Alfred Knofp, 1990.
Browne, Nick. “On Western Critiques of Chinese Film.” Asian Cinema 16, 2 (Fall/Winter 2005): 23-35.
Burton, Julianne. “Marginal Cinemas and Mainstream Critical Theory.” Screen (?): 2-21.
Chen Xihe. “Shadowplay: Chinese Film Aesthetics and Their Philosophical and Cultural Fundamentals.” Semsel, Chinese Film Theory 192-204.
Cavell, Stanley. The World Viewed: Reflections on the Ontology of Film. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1979.
Collier, Joelle. “A Repetition Compulsion: Discontinuity Editing, Classical Chinese Aesthetics, and Hong Kong’s Culture of Disappearance.” Asian Cinema10, 2 (Spring/Summer 1999): 67-79.
Cook, David A. A History of Narrative Film. NY: Norton, 1990.
Eco, Umberto. “Casablanca: Cult Movie and Intertextual Collage.” Substance: A Review of Theory and Literary Criticism 14.2 (1985):3-12.
Eisenstein, Sergei. Film Sense. New York: Harcourt, Brace, 1947.
Gabriel, Teshome H. Third Cinema in the Third World: The Aesthetics of Liberation. Ann Arbor: UMI Research Press, 1982.
Kaplan, Ann. Women and Film: Both Sides of the Camera. New York: Methuen, 1983.
Kracauer, Siegfried. Theory of the Film: The Redemption of Physical Reality. New York: Oxford University Press, 1960.
de Lauretis, Teresa. Alice Doesn’t: Feminism, Semiotics, Cinema. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1984.
—–. “Rethinking Women’s Cinema: Aesthetics and Feminist Theory.” New German Critique 34 (1985).
Li Daoxin, ed. Zhongguo dianying piping shi, 1897-2000 (History of Chinese film criticism, 1897-2000). Beijing: Zhongguo dianying, 2002.
Mayne, Judith. The Woman at the Keyhole. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1990.
Mast, Gerald and Marshall Cohen, eds. Film Theory and Criticism: Introductory Readings (third edition). New York: Oxford University Press, 1985.
Metz, Christian. Film Languages: A Semiotics of the Cinema. Chicago: University of Chicago, 1990.
—–. The Imaginary Signifier: Psychoanalysis and the Cinema. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1982.
—–. Language and Cinema. Mouton de Gruyter, 1974.
Mulvey, Laura. Visual and Other Pleasures. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1989.
Rosen, Philip ed. Narrative, Appartus, Ideology: A Film Theory Reader. New York: Columbia University Press, 1986.
Semsel, George, ed. Chinese Film: The State of the Art in the People’s Republic. New York: Praeger, 1987.
—–. Chinese Film Theory: A Guide to the New Era. New York: Praeger, 1990.
—–. Film in Contemporary China: Critical Debates, 1979-1989. Westport: Praeger, 1993.
Silverman, Kay. The Acoustic Mirror: The Female Voice in Psychoanalysis and Cinema. Bloomington: UI Press, 1988.
Film Review Indices
Film Literature Index (REF Z5784 M9 F45)
Film Review Annual
Film Review Index (Z578 M9 F5135 1986)
New York Times Film Review Index
On-Line Film Resources
- American Film Institute
- Astyle.com (Asian entertainment portal)
- AsianAmericanFilm.com (the latest scoop on Asian American films and filmmakers)
- Asian American Media Arts (with links to many good sources on Asian American film)
- Asian CineVision (not-for-profit national media arts center dedicated to the development of Asian American film and video arts)
- Asian Cinema (scholarly journal on Asian film, ed. John Lent)
- Asian Cinema Studies Society
- Asian Educational Media Service (East Asian and Pacific Studies, University of Illinois; contains an excellent database of Asian related media
- Asian Film/Cinema Page (East Asian Libraries Cooperative WWW)
- Asian Film Connections (Asia Pacific Media Center, Annenberg Center for Communication, University of Southern California) [growing section on recent Chinese film]
- Asian Mass Communication Research and Information Center (Singapore)
- Asian Media Access (St. Paul, MN; has a Chinese cinema page)
- Beijing Film Academy (Beijing dianying xueyuan)
- China Entertainment News (informative newsletter about the media in China)
- China Film Archive
- China Internet World 2000 (website of April 2000 international internet conference/exhibition in Beijing)
- China Movie Chair
- China Music and Film Net (Zhongguo yinxiang dianying wang) [sponsored by the PRC Ministry of Culture]
- China on Video [website on documentary maintained by Paola Voci]
- Chinafilm.com (excellent source of information on Chinese film; includes historical materials such as the 1996 PRC film management law, records of winners of all PRC film awards, an archive of essays by film scholars [e.g., Dai Jinhua])
- China Film Insider [China Film Insider reports on and writes about the people and companies making movies that soon may help to bridge the gaps in understanding between China, the United States, and the rest of the world. We work in Beijing, Los Angeles, and New York.]
- Chinastar.com (China Star Entertainment, HK)
- Chinese Screen Queens of the 1950s and 1960s
- Cinema China 07 (University of Edinburgh, March 2007).
- Cinema Korea
- Chinese Cinema (Sun Shaoyi’s website)
- Chinese Cinema Web-Based Learning Center (Zhang Yingjin; University of California, San Diego)
- Chinese Communication Association (University of Minnesota)
- Chinese Film in the 1930s (Indiana University)
- Chinese Film Festival Studies Research Network [The research network brings together scholars in the UK, China, other parts of Asia, Europe and the USA who are working on film festivals in Chinese-language territories and cultures (including the People’s Republic, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and elsewhere).]
- Chinese Media Sites (China Internet Information Center)
- The Chinese Mirror: A Journal of Chinese Film History [“an online journal devoted to the history of one of the world’s most productive national cinemas of the 20th Century, reflecting the hopes and sufferings of the Chinese people throughout a century of revolution, civil war and foreign invasion. The primary objective of this journal is to provide an historical record of China’s contributions to world cinema, and introduce its classic films and filmmakers to the Western world. The secondary objective is to convey to Western readers some understanding of China and the Chinese people through their motion pictures, and hopefully provide some insight into how their modern history has influenced their contemporary world outlook.”]
- Chinese Movie Posters (Zhongguo youxiu dianying haibao) [PRC film posters on “Xinhuanet collections”]
- Chinese Movies (alphabetical list of PRC films with brief plot synopses; from sh.com)
- Chinese Movies Database
- Chinese Taipei Film Archives (Guojia dianying ziliao guan)
- Dawn: Early Chinese Cinema (Spring 1998 films series at the Guggenheim featuring rarely seen films of the 20s and 30s)
- DC Chinese Chinese Film Festival [Founded in 2011, DCCFF is run by passionate volunteers who share the same vision: to break cultural barriers and bring about social change through the power of film. Every two years, we bring together artists, film professionals, film lovers, and scholars to Washington DC, the capital of documentary and independent filmmaking, for a week long treat of rare screenings, cutting-edge panel discussions, and networking events.]
- Electric Shadows Journal (this is a website associated with a mailing list devoted to Asian Arthouse films; useful resources)
- Far East Film (sponsors of the Udine Film Festival in Italy)
- FilmBazaar.com (American Film Market 2000)
- Film Biweekly (Dianying zhoukan) [requires Chinese browser; HK film journal)
- Film Festival Server (information on film festivals worldwide)
- Film Studies@OSU (Ohio State University film studies program)
- Filmsea.com (Yin hai)
- Funscreen Weekly (Fangying zhoubao) [Taiwan-based online journal devoted to film, with good coverage of Taiwan film]
- The Golden Age of Chinese Language Cinema [blog by Dev Yang]
- Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards (Taipei Jinma ying zhan)
- The Greatest Films
- Guojia dianying ziliao guan (National Film Archive, Taiwan)
- Harvard Film Archive (Cambridge, Mass)
- HelloZiyi (Zhang Ziyi fan site) [lots of pictures and video clips]
- Heroic Cinema: The Guide to Hong Kong Movies in Australia
- Hong Kong Cinema (at Stanford University)
- Hong Kong Cinemagic (France)
- Hong Kong Entertainment News in Review
- Hong Kong Film Archive
- Hong Kong Film Critics’ Society
- Hong Kong Films
- Hong Kong International Film Festival
- Hong Kong MovieBase
- Hong Kong Movie Database
- Hong Kong Movies Homepage
- Hong Kong Movies in San Francisco
- The Illuminated Lantern (revealing the heart of Asian cinema)
- The Internet Movie Database (Chinese)
- Japan on Film: The University of Michigan Center for Japanese Studies’Guide to Japanese Film Prints
- Kinema Club (Japanese film website, with extensive bibliography, discussion group, reviews, etc)
- The Korean Film Page (Darcy Paquet)
- Lanyu (official film website)
- The Leslie Cheung Internet Fan Site
- The Li Lihua Homepage
- MC4’s Hong Kong Movie Page
- National Asian American Telecommunications Association (NAATA)
- Pacific Film Archive, Berkeley Art Museum
- The Paul Kendel Fonoroff Collection for Chinese Film Studies (C.V. Starr Library, University of California, Berkeley)
- Reel (for purchasing films)
- Reel Asian International Film Festival [Toronto based annual film festival showcasing contemporary independent shorts and features by local and international Asian filmmakers]
- Reel China: Documentary Biennal (PRC documentary films available for public showing)
- Self-Made Cinema (collection of Hong Kong independent film and video currently touring Australia; curated by Jo Law)
- Shanghai Film Studio
- Shanghai International Film Festival
- The Shaw Brothers (devoted to the Shaw Brothers Studio)
- Shelly Kraicer’s Chinese Cinema Page
- Sinomovie.com (website produced by Hou Hsiao-hsien that focuses on Taiwan and HK independent film)
- Sinotxt [Things concerning moving images in China, a blog by Linus Fredriksson]
- Society for Cinema Studies
- Soft Film: Vintage Chinese Cinema [“a coffee-table blog that I hope will somehow publicly redeem my addiction to collecting old Chinese movie memorabilia on eBay. May at least one person find enjoyment or a little piece of knowledge from the humble treasures found herein.”]
- South and East Asian Cinemas (Media Resources Center, UC Berkeley Moffitt Library)
- State Administration of Radio, Television and Film (Guojia guangbo dianying dianshi zongju) [PRC government agency that oversees the radio, tv. and film industries]
- Taipei Film Festival (台北電影節)
- Taiwan Cinema
- Taiwan Cinema Note (Taiwan dianying biji) [sponsored by the Taiwan Council for Cultural Affairs)
- Taiwan dianying ziliao ku (The database of Taiwan Cinema)
- Toto Cinema Matters (online film journal from Sydney, Australia; occasionally has reviews of Chinese films)
- UCLA Film and Television Archive
- UCSD Chinese Cinema Web-Based Learning Center (prepared by Zhang Yingjin, University of California, San Diego)
- Women Make Waves (Taiwan women’s film festival)