ACCL election announcement

Below is the election announcement of Association of Chinese and Comparative Literature from Daniel Fried, president of ACCL (2017-2019).

Yunwen Gao yunwengao@cuhk.edu.hk

Dear ACCL members:

As we have successfully concluded our biennial conference, it is my final responsibility to supervise the election of our next President.  To that end, I have attached a nomination form to this message, and would ask that you all consider either nominating yourself, or encouraging a colleague to seek election.

The primary duty of the President is to arrange the biennial conference; however, the next President should also expect to work on additional measures to strengthen the Association, such as completing an ACCL website and regularizing membership registration.  The President will have the assistance of a Treasurer, Communications Director, and Executive Committee, all of whom are appointed as outlined in our constitution.

As listed on the nomination form, each candidate must list the names of three members who support her or his nomination.  If a potential supporter is not a past member (or is not certain of her or his membership status), she or he may still support a nomination by providing a statement that she or he wishes to be considered an ACCL member and intends to participate in future ACCL events.

Nomination forms are due to me (at dfried@ualberta.ca) no later than Monday, September 23.  After that date, I will confirm the nominations with those who have added their names as supporters.  In the event that only one (or zero) complete nominations are received, I will attempt to identify an additional one (or two) candidates who might reasonably stand for election.  As soon as two or more candidates are confirmed, I will announce the election and distribute ballots.  If there are more than two candidates, ballots will use the ranked-choice voting method.  Counting of votes will be done by two members of our executive committee, as specified in our constitution: this year, Michelle Yeh and Michel Hockx will serve in that role.  It is my hope that the election can be completed and the next President announced by the end of October.

Many of you might have in mind someone whom you think would make a good ACCL President; I encourage you to reach out to such colleagues directly and encourage them to run.  If you wish, you may also send nominations directly to me, and I would be glad to contact the person in question.  I am also able to answer any questions you may have about the role of the President, or about the election process.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to receiving your nominations.

Sincerely,

Daniel Fried
ACCL President