The Association for Asian Performance (AAP), a focus group of the Association for Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE), invites submissions to its 18th Annual Conference!
Association for Asian Performance 18th Annual Conference
July 31-August 1, 2018 | Boston, MA
The AAP conference is a two-day event, to be held at the Westin Boston Waterfront in Boston, MA preceding the 2018 ATHE Annual Conference. Proposals are invited for papers, panels, workshops, roundtable discussions, and other formats. Learn more about the AAP at http://www.yavanika.org/aaponline/.
The deadline for proposals is March 31, 2018. (Proposals from foreign applicants may receive early consideration as needed for visa arrangements.) Proposals for the following formats are welcome:
- Individual Papers on topics related to Asian performance. Proposals for individual papers should include an abstract (max 250 words). Individual presentations should be limited to 20 minutes so that there will be time left for questions and discussion. Visual materials (slides, video, etc.) are strongly encouraged.
- Panels composed of three paper presenters and one discussant or four paper presenters. Proposals for panels should provide a brief statement (250 words) that explains the session as a whole, a list of titles and a 50-word abstract for each paper, and biography of the discussant (if applicable).
- Roundtables off an opportunity for participants to discuss specific themes, issues or significant recent publications. A maximum of six active participants in recommended. While a roundtable proposal need not be as detailed as a panel proposal, it should explain fully the session’s purpose, themes, or issues and scope (250 words), as well as provide a list of committed participants.
- Workshops by performance practitioner(s) with expertise in specific Asian performance traditions are welcomed, particularly workshops that overlap with a panel theme or paper presentation. Workshop proposals should include an abstract (350 words) describing the workshop and any technical or space considerations. Workshops should be designed to run no longer than 80 minutes.
- Poster sessions provide an opportunity to share developing, new, or unique research projects that would be enhanced by an interactive format. Submit a brief abstract (250 words) for a short, multimedia-enhanced presentation. The AAP will do its best to pair specialists in your subject area to act as respondents. Past presenters at the poster sessions have included both junior and senior scholars.
- We also encourage suggestions for innovative alternatives to the session formats described above! Please contact the conference organizer directly if you have an idea for an innovative session.
Calling all Graduate Students!
AAP warmly encourages participation from graduate students. The conference provides a number of dedicated events, such as an informational brown bag lunch with mentors and social gatherings out on the town, that make AAP an especially welcoming and enriching experience. If you are interested in learning more, please contact us!
All proposals should include the following:
- Title of panel, roundtable, workshop, poster, or paper.
- Names of all presenters, including chair and/or organizer and discussant (for panels and roundtables), and a few biographical sentences about each presenter.
- Affiliation, specialization (field/region), mailing address, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of all participants.
- Explanation of the session (for panels, workshops, and roundtables); abstract for each panel presentation or each paper.
Please submit proposals by e-mail to the conference organizer and AAP Vice-President, Tarryn Chun (firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also contact Tarryn with any questions, ideas, or for help finding collaborators.
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ALL PROPOSALS IS MARCH 31, 2018.
All presenters are expected to join AAP. To learn more about the conference and the benefits of becoming an AAP member, please visit our website at http://www.yavanika.org/aaponline and consider joining us on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/groups/aaponline/.
Tarry Chun <email@example.com>