U.S. Border Barriers & Department of Homeland Security Waivers
– Starr County .jpg (summary map) .pdf (w/ additional details) [updated 3/18/19]
– Hidalgo County .jpg (summary map) .pdf (w/ additional details) [updated 3/18/19]
– Cameron County .jpg (summary map) .pdf (w/ additional details) [updated 5/9/19]
– land behind border barriers .pdf [updated 4/11/19]
DHS border barrier legal waivers:
– handout (8.5″ x 11″) .pdf [updated 5/23/19]
– poster (42″ x 36″) .pdf [updated 5/21/19]
The poster includes the precise legal wording used for each law waived. The handout is the short popular title only, something that may not be clear at all from the waiver itself except for the bracketed explanations. Numbering on the poster relates to the order in which a particular proclamation lists the laws being waived, whereas numbering on the handout is simply a top-to-bottom order (from the poster) used to standardize comparison.
* Mileage calculated from maps created prior to Dec. 2017 (i.e. state-wide CA & AZ maps above) over-estimate actual distances due to a projection error. Percentages are still largely correct, however. Corrected maps are forthcoming.
If you want to be added to an e-mail list notifying you of updates to this page, please e-mail me. The “subscriptions” button on this site may not consistently notify you of specific map updates.
also of interest:
The Border Wall: What Has Trump Built So Far? (The New York Times 1/5/19)
Borderline (The Washington Post 10/17/18)
The Wall – Interactive map exploring U.S.-Mexico border (USA Today 2017)
Embattled Borderlands (Schlyer 2017) – based on my assembly of waiver data
Baker Maps 2013 (UT-Austin FOIA data) – initial basis for my digitization of border barriers
Real ID Waiver Authority Compromises Our Borderlands (Sierra Club)
Laws Waived to Expedite Construction of a Border Wall (Friends of the Sonoran Desert, May 2018) – add’l details on laws waived