Family Background

Hello! My name is Jessie Ko. First, is an introduction of the pictures above. These pictures were taken during a Chinese New Year celebration at my uncle’s restaurant, Hunan King, in Columbus, Ohio. The first picture is of my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and my family. The second picture is of my immediate family, and the third picture is of my immediate family and my grandparents.

I am part of a Chinese family that owns a Chinese restaurant. The Chinese restaurant is called Peking House and it has been open for over 18 years. I have been helping out at this restaurant since I was ten; however, I helped my dad at a different Chinese restaurant, Yummy House, starting from when I was nine years old. I began with helping in the kitchen (at Yummy House) folding dumplings, wontons, and crab rangoon, cutting chicken, washing dishes, sweeping the floor, making sauces, and frying food. Then, I began to pick up orders. Soon after my parents officially separated, I began helping out at Peking House. As the business at this restaurant was much better than Yummy House, I only took the customers’ orders and called in the orders. Slowly, I started settling the day’s income, frying food, cooking fried rice (occasionally), filling sauces/containers/soda, cleaning everywhere from the area of the fryers to the front doors, packing orders, and paying bills/salaries. I also learned how to check for supplies that were needed in the front.

My family consists of my three siblings and my mom, and I am the second oldest. I live with my grandparents, my mom, my siblings, and my two cousins. Recently, my mom’s workers have moved in and now there are a total of twelve people living in my house—making my house very crowded. It’s nearly impossible for any of us to sleep on one bed since we only have king-sized beds. When I was first born (in Ohio, America), I was sent to live with my dad’s mom in New York so that she could take care of me. When I was supposed to enter first grade, I was sent to live with my older sister and the guardians that were taking care of her in Center Valley, Pennsylvania. During that last few months of second grade, my dad came to take us back to Ohio, and I have been in Ohio ever since. My dad transferred me and my siblings to my mom when I was about to enter fifth grade.

Ever since, my life consisted of going to my mom’s restaurant to work, school, volunteering, club activities, and housework (sometimes). When I was able to start driving, my older sister had gone to college, so I took over the tasks of paying bills, making appointments for me and everyone in my family, helping with my mom’s taxes, applying for Medicaid/Medicare, and applying and driving my cousins or sibling to their after-school activities. Also, there were a few summers that I would go to China with my grandparents and visit relatives or to relax and have fun. Most of my school breaks were used to give my mom some time to rest at home rather than going to the restaurant—meaning I went to work at my mom’s restaurant.