~Riverside Methodist Hospital~

I started volunteering at Riverside Hospital in 2016.  In such a short time, this experience has shaped me in a way that I did not know was possible.  I have been working as a greeter at the main entrance of the hospital, where I engage with the families of patients and answer any questions they may have. I walk patients and their families where they need to be, while providing a friendly and welcoming environment.  Occasionally, I deliver flowers to patients rooms, which always makes me smile.  This experience has not only helped change my perspective on everyday life, but also introduced me to some incredible people.  I volunteer every Wednesday morning with two amazing elderly, but not so elderly in spirit, men.  I have become close with both of these men, and they have both offered me some great advice, as well as words of encouragement when I need them.  Listening to them talk about life gives me great hope for the future, and watching their kindness in action gives me great hope for humanity.  Interacting with my fellow volunteers and with patients and their families has made me realize how important it is to be present in the moment and to appreciate the little things in life.  Many of the patients that I work with have had life altering circumstances occur at Riverside, whether it be a medical emergency or the loss of a loved one, in the blink of an eye. Seeing this has helped me appreciate how fortunate I am, and has helped me be thankful for everyone in my life and every single day that I am living.