GREENHOUSE MANAGEMENT WORKSHOP: Hydroponics
Date: February 8-9, 2018
Location: OARDC/OSU Wooster, Ohio
Topics (fundamental and advanced tracks):
- Humidity management
- Food safety
- Balancing inputs to optimize quality
- Strawberry production
- OARDC/OSU greenhouse research
- Commercial greenhouse
Speakers include Dr. Chieri Kubota, Dr. Beth Scheckelhoff, Dr. Uttara Samarakoon, Mr. Mark Kroggel, and Dr. Peter Ling
Details will be posted at:
As the holidays approach and poinsettias hit the market, educational events in Ohio hit the ground running! Here are a few opportunities that you might be interested in attending:
50th Annual Ohio Turfgrass Foundation Conference and Show with the OSU Green Industry Short Course
December 5-8, 2016
Greater Columbus Convention Center
For 50 years, the OTF Conference & Show has offered quality education close to home. Our partnership with the OSU Green Industry Short Course has strengthened the conference by introducing more opportunities to increase your knowledge of trees and ornamentals. Whether you manage turf, trees or anything in between, the education conference is a can’t miss event for the serious professional.
For details and registration information, please visit: http://www.otfshow.org/home
Midwest Green Industry Xperience (MGIX) 2017 from the Ohio Nursery & Landscape Association
January 16-18, 2017
Greater Columbus Convention Center
MGIX 2017 features:
- More than 90 education sessions led by national speakers comprise a wide variety of topics, from business and marketing best practices to design, irrigation, and lighting trends. Educators from The Ohio State University lead 24 sessions focused on horticulture, pest and disease management, and industry research.
- Pre-conference sessions on Sunday, January 15 include Perennial Plant Association’s Annual P.L.A.N.T. Seminar, Permeable Interlocking Concrete Pavement Specialist Course by ICPI, and Landscape Business BootCamp by Greenmark Consulting.
For details and registration information, please visit: www.mgix2017.com
By Dr. Claudio Pasian, Department of Horticulture and Crop Science
The Ohio State University
In the past few years, I have seen more growers using the outdoors to grow certain container crops that do well in cool environments…please continue reading the entire article here: Using Ice to Protect Outdoor-Growing Plants against Frosts and Freezes.
Please join OSU Extension, Maumee Valley Growers Association, and USDA-ARS for the 2016 Greenhouse Winter Conference in NW Ohio! Located in Delta, OH, the program includes a tour of Schmidlin Greenhouse and their new tomato growing operation and solar array, 1 hour of private CORE re-certification, 1 hour private Category 5 re-certification, lessons from a Kentucky food hub, and catered lunch. Please see the attached flyer for registration details and the RSVP deadline.
- 8:15 Registration and coffee
- 8:30 Tour of Schmidlin Greenhouse – Don Schmidlin
- 9:00 Schmidlin Solar Project and USDA-REAP Funding – Mike Litman, Sunlit Solar
- 9:30 Pesticide Applicator and WPS Updates – Beth Scheckelhoff, OSUE (1 h private CORE)
- 10:30 Research updates for greenhouse application – Jennifer Boldt , USDA-ARS (1 h private Category 5)
- 11:30 Lessons Learned from a Food Hub – Lilian Brislen of Food Connection
- 12:30 Lunch and depart
For additional information, please click here: 2016 Winter Conference Flyer
The rapid growth of the bioproducts market is outpacing the dissemination of knowledge on how to integrate these different products into a sustainable and profitable greenhouse production system. A coordinated effort is needed to address the research and educational needs of the greenhouse industry relative to bioproducts. This workshop will bring together industry and academic leaders to present research and develop a strategic vision for bioproduct use in the greenhouse industry. Participants will identify perceived obstacles to the adoption of bioproducts by the greenhouse industry and work to resolve these problems with targeted research projects and educational programs.
USE OF BIOPESTICIDES, BIOSTIMULANTS AND BENEFICIAL INSECTS IN ORNAMENTAL AND VEGETABLE PRODUCTION IN CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENTS
January 13-15th 2016
Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
Bioproducts workshop flyer
January 13th, 2016
Research presentations and stakeholders panel discussion, FREE FOR THE FIRST 75 REGISTRANTS
- Update on current use of biopesticides, biostimulants, and beneficial insects
- Application technologies
- Economic analysis – cost/benefits, consumer preferences
- Stakeholders panel discussion – greatest benefits and barriers to the use of bioproducts in commercial greenhouses
January 14-15th, 2016
Grant development activities
- Working groups with breakout sessions
- SCRI proposal plan
The following industry, academic, and greenhouse collaborators have confirmed their attendance to date:
DRAMM Corporation, AmericanHort, Biobest, BioWorks, Chase Agricultural Consulting, University of California Cooperative Extension, OSU Extension, C. Wayne Ellett Plant & Pest Diagnostic Clinic, IR-4 Ornamental Horticulture, USDA-ARS, The Center for Applied Horticulture Research (CA), Altman Plants (CA), C. Rakers & Sons (MI), Metrolina Greenhouses (NC), Green Circle Growers (OH)
For general workshop information contact Eileen Ramsay (email@example.com). For information on the SCRI grant development (Jan 14-15) contact Michelle Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org). This workshop is supported by the USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture SCRI Planning Grant – Award # 2015-51181-24284.