Missouri’s 1862 Land-Grant Institution: University of Missouri
In 1839, the Missouri Legislature established funds for a state university, the first of its kind west of the Mississippi River. In 1870, the institution received its land-grant status, leading to the founding of the Missouri School of Mines and Metallurgy (today known as the Missouri University of Science and Technology). The University of Missouri System was created in 1963 when the formerly private University of Kansas City (now the University of Missouri-Kansas City) and a newly created campus in St. Louis (University of Missouri-St. Louis) were added. Upon creation of the new system, each university was renamed with its host city, with the university in Columbia becoming the University of Missouri–Columbia. In 2007, the Board of Curators voted to allow MU to drop Columbia from its name for all public use.
Chancellor: Alexander N. Cartwright became chancellor of the University of Missouri in 2017. Previously, he served as provost and executive vice chancellor at the State University of New York.
Missouri’s 1890 Land-Grant Institution: Lincoln University of Missouri
The Lincoln Institute was established in 1866, largely due to the fundraising efforts of the 62nd Colored Infantry regiment of the U.S. Army. In 1890, the school received its land-grant designation. In 1921, the school was renamed Lincoln University of Missouri.
President: Jerald Jones Woolfolk became the president of Lincoln University of Missouri in 2018. Her land-grant credentials include having held several administrative positions at the land-grant institution University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, and she is an alumnus of the land-grant institution Iowa State University, where she received a master’s degree in counselor education.