CarmenConnect Users – Check It Out – Get your questions answered!!
Many of you are successfully using CarmenConnect for meetings and educational programming while others are experiencing some frustrations using the service. Join Ken Kulka on February 3rd from 2-3:30 PM in his CarmenConnect room.
- ask a question about CarmenConnect
- give a tip that you might know about or just listen in to see if there are some helpful hints that you can use
CarmenConnect Office Hours will be held monthly so if you can’t make it on Monday you can Ken the next time.
Feb. 3, 2014
Time: 2-3:30 PM
Host: Ken Kulka
Audio Mode: VoIP only
Login as Guest
Individuals who do not have an OSU email account will need to sign up for a box account first with their personal email and then OSU personnel may share a file with that email. Non OSU personnel can do so at the Log in screen which can be found at https://osu.app.box.com/files
From this point they will go to the the section “Not part of The Ohio State University?”
Choose Log in using Box credentials or Sign up for an account
Solution: Download Box Sync for your desktop
Box Sync uses what’s on the website as the starting point and puts any additional/edited content on a user’s desktop in a new “My Box Files [Backup]” folder. That way none of your users’ work is lost. Once in your Box, click on the icon to the right of your name for a drop down menu and choose Get Box Sync.
Contact an Ed Tech today to schedule a FUN and INTERACTIVE presentation or training for your EERA program area.
From Left to Right:
Heather Gottke (4-H)
Jamie Seger (FCS)
Teresa Johnson (ANR)
Kimberly Roush (CD)
Password Software – Keep your passwords safe and protected.
KeePass Password Safe – For Your Desktop
http://keepass.info/download.html – Download KeePass Classic Edition Version 1.26
What is KeePass?
Today you need to remember many passwords. You need a password for the Windows network logon, your e-mail account, your website’s password, online passwords (like website member account), etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. Also, you should use different passwords for each account. Because if you use only one password everywhere and someone gets this password you have a problem… A serious problem. The thief would have access to your e-mail account, website, etc. Unimaginable.
KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish).
View the Quick Start Guide
CarmenConnect Quickstart Guide will get you on the right track. Share this document with your participants.
Contains the following…
- Before the session – Install the Connect Add-in
- Run a Connection Test
- Within the Session
– Check physical location
– Check Internet Connection
– Enable your audio
– Use a Headset mic
– Check the Interaction buttons
For the Best Experience
- All Participants should use a desktop or laptop computer with a wired internet connection and a headset or earbuds. A wireless connection may not be strong or stable enough to provide an ideal experience. Relying on the speakers and mic built into a computer can result in poor sound quality for all Participants in the session.
- If Attendees expect to speak during the session, a combined headset / mic is recommended. See the Headset Information page for more details.
- To create an optimal user experience during a session while using the built-in computer audio (Voice over IP), each person should speak with a headset mic. This equipment lets the microphone focus on the speaker’s voice without picking up ambient sound from the physical room in which they are sitting. It also prevents the audio in the Connect Meeting Room from feeding back into the session and creating an echo.
- Adobe Connect requires the Adobe Connect Add-in enable all functions. When prompted, meeting participants should allow the Add-in to load and/or install. Installation takes less than a minute on most machines.
- The add-in is highly recommended for Meeting Hosts, Hosts and Presenters.
- Browser Known Issues: The current version of the Google Chrome browser is incompatible with the Adobe Connect Add-in. Please see the Adobe Help article for more information: http://helpx.adobe.com/adobe-connect/kb/google-chrome-browser-incompatibility.html
Tablets/Smartphones/iOS Mobile Devices
- With the launch of Adobe Connect 9, Adobe also launched the Adobe Connect Mobile 2.0 client. A full description of what can and cannot be done when using a mobile device can be found in Adobe’s official blog post here: http://go.osu.edu/connect-mobile-new-features.
The BuckeyeBox service provides an easy way to share files and folders online. Box consolidates your content in a single location, easily accessible from anywhere, on any device. You can create files and folders, share them using a direct link, invite colleagues and classmates to collaborate, and continue to revise and review your content. Though similar in appearance to other consumer services such as DropBox, Box can directly integrate with existing OSU single sign-on authentication systems.
The box is just like the “My documents” on your computer. Each OSU Employee gets 50GB of space – more than you can get with Dropbox (2GB). You can also download “Box Sync” which puts a folder called “My Box Files” in the My Documents folder on your desktop. There is also an app for your smart phone.
Learn More About BuckeyeBox
Getting Started with BuckeyeBox
Managing Files and Folders
Make plans to attend our session at Annual Conference (Ken Kulka and Teresa Johnson) to learn more about Carmen Connect and get your questions answered. In the meantime…. there are several resources on the web to help with using Carmen Connect.
Carmen Connect Quick Start/Host/Presenter Info
Tips and Tricks Video
Uploading a document into Carmen Connect vs Sharing a Document/Desktop
To use your CarmenConnect account, you can go to the portal at https://carmenconnect.osu.edu/ or you can go to the direct URL for any Connect room in our system. The username is your “firstname.lastname@example.org” and the initial password is “carmenconnect1”. This is a one-time use password. You will be asked to create a new password for yourself after you have successfully logged in. In the CarmenConnect portal, you can create new rooms for yourself or manage any existing rooms under your account. Most of these features can also be accessed from the menus in a Connect room
Carmen Connect Contact:
Ken Kulka: email@example.com
Instructional Development Specialist
Communications and Technology