Changes in Swine Tag-In

Effective 2018, all market hogs must come to the fairgrounds for tag-in.  Previously, hogs were the only large specie animal that did not come to the fairgrounds for a tag in.  Junior Fair Board and Sales Committee are updating hog tags to the Federal ID tags.  These tags are much more expensive than the previous tags.  They will not fall out as easy.  This will prevent re-tagging of animals.  Bringing hogs to the fairgrounds will also give us the opportunity to add a Rate of Gain competition.  There will be awards for the Barrow and Gilt that have the highest percentage of daily weight gain from the tag-in date to the weigh-in date at fair.  Rate of Gain will be optional.  Hogs are not required to be weighed at the tag in date.

Date:        Saturday, May 12th

Time:        8:00 am – 12:00 pm — Must be in line by 11:00 am.

Location:  Clermont County Fairgrounds – Hogs need to enter the Locust Street Gate and go around the outside of the track for line up.  There will be help directing trailers where to go.  Trucks and trailers will pull through the barn like we do during the fair unloading/weigh in.

Common Q&A:

1. Am I still required to bring pictures of my hogs?  No, pictures are no longer required.
  2. Am I able to tag my own hogs at the fairgrounds?  Yes, anyone who wants to tag their own can do so on the fairgrounds.  We will be disinfecting the taggers after every trailer.
  3. Will someone tag my hogs if I do not want to?  Yes, there will be people available to tag hogs.  The people tagging will change boot covers after every trailer and disinfect the taggers.
  4. Will there be a vet on-site?  Yes, our fair vet will be present.  He or an appointed representative will be confirming all hogs have been castrated.
  5. Am I required to unload and weigh my hogs?  No, the Rate of Gain competition is optional.
  6. Are the scales certified?  Yes, the scales will be set and certified for this tag in/weigh in.
  7. Will registration paperwork be given to advisors prior to the tag in date?  No, all hog paperwork will be handed out at the tag in.
  8. What if I have different species on the same trailer?  Recommendation is to get in the hog line.  If there is a wait, goats and lambs can be walked to their tag in/weigh in.