New information about taking the OSU Math Placement Test has been added under the link on the left-hand navigation bar.
Detailed information about taking the OSU Math Placement Test has also been emailed to all students who have applied by March 14th. Please check your OSU email for important information about taking the test and when it will be available.
Students applying after this date will be sent information on taking the Math Placement Test once we received your application to the Engineering Learning Community.
Once we have your Math Placement results and have reviewed all of the applications, we will notify the beginning of April regarding a decision.
Application to the Engineering Learning Community is now available for the 2017-2018 program. Deadline to apply is April 1st to secure your spot!
Started in 2014, the Engineering Learning Community serves as an opportunity for Engineering and pre-Engineering students at the Newark campus to build a social and academic network in their first year of enrollment at The Ohio State University. Students in the learning community take three common courses together during the first two semesters. Members of the learning community also have opportunities to interact with area engineers and employers throughout the year.
The Engineering Learning Community offers the following opportunities:
- Going to class with a group of freshmen who have the same academic interest and background. Courses you will take include Foundations of Engineering and Engineering University Survey class.
- Gaining the skills necessary to support your transition and your continued success on the Columbus campus.
- Joining other members of the learning community in meeting to provide feedback on your experience.
- Interacting with successful engineers in the local areas.
- Participating in field trips related to the field of engineering.
- Engaging in social activities designed for the learning community.
- *Receive priority consideration for Newark Campus Residence Hall housing for those why apply by April 1st (see the Housing page for more details).
To be eligible for the Engineering Learning Community at The Ohio State University at Newark, students must:
- Have declared an engineering or pre-engineering major
- Apply to the learning community under the Application tab
- Take the OSU Math Placement Test and earn a placement level “M” or “L” (pre-calculus or calculus). Information regarding the test can be found under the Math Placement Test tab.
- Take the Engineering Learning Community courses specified on the Course tabs: Engineering 1181.01 and 1182.01 and Engineering University Survey
- While students are not obligated to accept our offer of admission or to pay the acceptance fee by April 1st, opportunities to be included in one of our learning communities do fill up quickly. We encourage you to pay your acceptance fee as soon as you know you want to join Buckeye Nation at Ohio State Newark.