College students can experience a broad variety of mental health concerns impacted by a variety of factors.
As a result, it is important for students to keep in mind that there are a variety of solutions and supports available.
While individual counseling, group counseling, psychiatry at our agency are good options, it is important for students to consider all of the resources available to them based on their situation/need, timeliness, and availability.
What if I need immediate assistance or if I am in crisis?
If you are in crisis, go here: https://ccs.osu.edu/about-us-and-our-services/need-immediate-assistance/
- The link above includes info on Crisis text and call options.
What if I need to talk to someone after hours?
What are some other options for mental health support on campus?
- Weekday drop in workshops through OSU Counseling and consultation Service. No appointment necessary, just stop by. Topics include anxiety, stress, resiliency, psychiatry, etc. You will also learn about a variety of resources for mental health support.
- Mind body strategies through integrative medicine at OSU Wexner Medical Center.
- OSU SMART LAB. Uses biofeedback to help you identify sources of stress, problem solve ways to reduce stress, and practice relaxation techniques with our biofeedback software
- Community Provider Database through OSU Counseling and consultation Service. You can screen and find providers based problem area, specialty, insurance accepted, distance from campus.
- Call the number on your insurance card, and they can refer you to a mental health provider in network in your area.
- OSU Wellness coaching:
- They aim to help you create the life you want to live, both now and in the future by help you create strategies that leverage your strengths to create and achieve meaningful goals.
- Nutrition coaching They help you optimize your well-being by creating strategies and addressing barriers to holistic wellness.
- Relationship education. Strategies on how to practice healthy relationships and prevent sexual violence
- Alcohol and other drug prevention services. Uses a multi-modal approach to help you address these concerns.
- Phone screening service through OSU Student Life Counseling and Consultation Service. This phone appointment with our providers can help you figure out services that may be best for your needs, either with us or with one of our partner offices on or off campus.
- OSU Wilce Student Health center has primary care providers that may be helpful in some instance with medication for mental health. They may suggest you meet with a psychiatrist for other instances.
- OSU Dennis Learning Center for study skills/academic coaching.
- OSU Office of Student Advocacy and OSU Office of Disability services. Offer services including support and solutions when academic performance is impacted by mental health or physical health concerns.
- OSU Psychology Services center offers free cognitive behavior therapy based services for a variety of mental health conditions.
- OSU Wexner medical center also offers a variety of psychiatry services including partial hospital programs, intensive outpatient programs, inpatient psychiatric hospitalization, and other services.
What about self help resources?
- You can sign up for this blog: osu.edu/emotionalfitness.
- The OSU CCS App from the Android and Iphone store offers easy-to-use multimedia strategies to feel better fast!
- Check out our self-help page.
What if I am not sure of what I need for mental health support?
- Consider scheduling a phone screening service through OSU Student Life Counseling and Consultation Service. This phone appointment with our providers can help you figure out services that may be best for your needs, either with us or with one of our partner offices on or off campus.
Disclaimer: This article is intended to be informative only. It is advised that you check with your own physician/mental health provider before implementing any changes. With this article, the author is not rendering medical advice, nor diagnosing, prescribing, or treating any condition, or injury; and therefore claims no responsibility to any person or entity for any liability, loss, or injury caused directly or indirectly as a result of the use, application, or interpretation of the material presented.