Fall 2017

My first semester at The Ohio State University has been the transformative period and experience of my life. Moving 2,000 miles away from home, while easier than expected, taught me to appreciate the little things and always to take a moment an enjoy life. As a STEM major in a highly competitive field, I have learned the struggles of meeting both personal and external expectations. Regardless of the challenges, I have been able to meet and even surpass the goals I set for myself, and have realized that while success can be challenging, with enough effort and motivation, it can be achieved.

This semester I have pushed myself to achieve academically, professionally, and holistically. Through getting two different jobs in my first semester, I realized that getting what you want is easier done when you are willing to speak up and be confident. I enjoy being able to develop my professional skills through working, as well as provide myself greater stability and work ethic. In addition to working, I have volunteered consistently with a program through Scientific Thinkers. Through this program, I was able to acquire my second job, and am now the program coordinator in training. On top of working and volunteering, I hold two positions on the Barrett-Nosker Hall Council, Biological Sciences Representative and Sustainability Chair. Both of these positions have improved my leadership skills and have given me greater confidence as a leader within the university. In addition to these involvements, I am a member of Morrill Scholars, LSAMP Scholars, and Tri-P Scholars, through which I have been able to actively improve my academic success, professional development, networking, and overall happiness and sense of belonging within the university.

While I am very happy and appreciative of all that I have been able to pursue and achieve in the first semester, it did not all come easily. I learned very quickly that “luck” does not last, and that life happens. Whether it be struggling with a personal issue, or having to deal with circumstances that are completely out of ones control, life in college can be tough. However, I have learned to utilize my resources and to keep myself afloat regardless of the roadblocks that I experienced. I look forward to pushing myself to succeed in the coming semester and to continue persevering through the challenges.