My name is Eric Devney, and I am currently a fourth-year student at The Ohio State University, where I am majoring in Chemical Engineering. I am enrolled in the Honors program, and I am a member of the Eminence Fellowship at the university. I am currently involved in research in the Puskas Lab in the Department of Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering, where I will be learning more about natural rubber alternatives, and how they could positively impact the world.

After a year at the University, I am sure chemical engineering is the right fit for me. My interest for the major came mostly from a second semester engineering class I took covering micro and nanotechnology. During this time, I was able to design a chip used to detect syphilis from a single drop of blood. The chip, fully designed in SOLIDWORKS, is still theoretical, but with proper research into its intricacies, the design could be expanded upon into a physical model. Our group came in First Place for the best Nanotechnology project of all first-year students.