May CFAES Equity and Inclusion Workshops

Identity, Power, and Privilege
What does it mean to have privilege? How do your social identities (e.g., race, gender, class, religion, sexuality, etc.) grant or deny you privilege? How do you know when you have it and when you don’t? How can we use power and privilege to break the cycle of oppression? This workshop will explore these questions, offering participants an opportunity to delve deeply into their social identities by creating a Multiple Social Identity Profile – a process that reveals how we all have and lack privilege simultaneously. Participants will begin to uncover sources of bias that have been reinforced by an unrelenting cycle of socialization, develop skills for effective allyship, and learn how taking even the smallest of steps toward equity, inclusion, and justice can transform an individual into an agent of change in their communities and profession.

This workshop is free and open to all CFAES faculty, staff, postdocs, and graduate students on a first come basis. Cap: 30 participants.
Light refreshments will be provided.

Facilitator:
Dr. Leo Taylor, Program Director for Equity and Inclusion, College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences

Offerings:
Columbus – May 10th
(registration deadline May 6th), 9:00AM-12:00PM, Location: 4-H Center Eastman Room
Wooster – May 24th (registration deadline May 20th), 1:00PM-4:00PM, Location: 126 Research Services
Registration: CFAES_May_Workshop_Power and Privilege

Here is a quote from a participant who attended this workshop in February:
“I was a little hesitant about attending the class – recognizing that I am part of the “privileged” group. I appreciated the fact that I was not “made” or “encouraged” to feel guilty about my place in the system. It was a very safe environment that enabled some very open dialogue on some difficult topics. I also benefited greatly by the open discussion of experiences by the folks of color who attended the training. I have been to many trainings on a variety of topics, and this was one of the very best in terms of preparation, organization, delivery, content and audience engagement.”