A few quick items for this week’s DEEP thoughts.
1. Here is a really great CamRelay demo recording Ken Kulka did for us, since he was not able to attend the recent webinar as planned due to a family emergency. Don’t hesitate to contact him or I if you have further questions about using CamRelay to record videos/lectures.
2. I’ve had a few faculty asking me questions about the Canvas migration. One question was if this will effect Carmen Connect and any recordings there. The answer is no, these are different systems. CarmenConnect will continue as it is. ODEE has done a fairly recent upgrade to Connect, so you can now save recordings as mp4 files, which can then be edited as you need. It also seems the screwy bugs we kept running into are now fixed after they upgraded some server power last summer.
Another question I get is what training/support will there be in the move to Canvas. If your courses are part of a program that ODEE helped develop, they will take care of the move. ODEE will also be providing trainings to help all of us in moving any courses that are not part of such a program. Talk with your CFAES eTeam rep for more details. They can also get a Roadshow type of training scheduled for your department, where ODEE will come give you the training. I am also researching our options for possibly providing CFAES assistance for the migration. Stay in close contact with your eTeam rep as details unfold. I will also provide updates in this newsletter venue.
3. Our April CFAES eTeam meeting will be looking at marketing/communications aspects to help support our online courses/extension events and programs. Let me or your rep know of any specific needs you have in this regard.
4. One more thing I am researching with our CFAES teams is what LMS solution will best fit our needs for professional development and extension online courses. We’re looking at options within OSU, eXtension and a collaboration called Unizin. In CFAES we have a few teams ready to spin off online professional development modules from either live face-to-face extension workshops or from academic course materials. I’ll also keep you posted on this as we move forward.
5. Here is the current list of CFAES eTeam reps:
ACEL (Department of Agricultural Communication, Education, and Leadership) –
Emily Buck, Associate Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Graham Cochran, Associate Professor & Interim Chair, email@example.com
Animal Sciences –
Mike Chakerian, Senior Systems Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
ATI (Agricultural Technical Institute)–
Valerie Childress, Instructional Aids Associate, email@example.com
Amy Kohmetscher, Instructional Development Spec, firstname.lastname@example.org
CFAES Communications –
Suzanne Steel, Asst Dir, College Communication email@example.com
CFAES Director of eLearning-
Deana Namuth-Covert, Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org
CFAES Information Technology Services –
Chris Dicus, Digital Media Producer, email@example.com
Ken Kulka, Instr Dev Spec, firstname.lastname@example.org
Randy Nemitz, Senior Systems Manager, email@example.com
Wendy Klooster, Academic Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie Seger, Program Director, email@example.com
Danae Wolfe, Prog Spec, Education Tech, Program Specialist firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Science and Technology –
Steven Simmons, Laboratory Supervisor, email@example.com
Alvarez Valente, Food Industry Center Director, Alvarez.firstname.lastname@example.org (Steven & Alvarez just want meeting notes at this point and maybe join committee later)
Horticulture and Crop Sciences –
Bruce Ackley, Program Specialist, email@example.com
Meredith Luikart, Program Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org
ODEE (ODEE Scholarship)-
Jacob Bane, Sr Instruct Dsg/Instr Development Specialist, email@example.com
Plant Pathology –
Sarah Williams, Academic Program Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
School of Environmental and Natural Resources –
Kylienne Clark, Instructional Aids Associate, email@example.com
Tim Morton, SENR Systems Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
AEDE (Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics) – TBD
FABE (Food, Agricultural and Biological Engineering – TBD
Deana Namuth-Covert, PhD
Professor, Director of Online Education and Outreach
The Ohio State University
Ohio State ATI and the College of Food Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Wooster, OH 44691