Q: I am going to (FILL IN YOUR DESTINATION HERE) and I don’t really think I need any shots to go there. Should I still make a travel appointment at Wilce Student Health?
A: We see OSU students traveling to nearly every destination on the globe, and the risks do vary from country to country, no doubt. However, there is more to a travel appointment than getting an exotic vaccine. Our travel medicine providers will:
· Provide current health and security information about your destination(s)
· Update your routine immunizations
· Recommend tuberculosis (TB) testing when indicated
· Prescribe travel medicines, including anti-malaria pills
· Advise you on getting adequate supplies of your prescription medicines
· Provide information on staying healthy while traveling, such as food and water safety, sun and insect protection, and more
· Explain and recommend travel vaccines for diseases like typhoid and yellow fever
So, even if you are traveling to a destination with limited risk, you still might want to consider coming in for some advice and recommendations.
Wilce Student Health is an Ohio Department of Health-approved vaccine site, and routinely stocks the most commonly used travel shots at reasonable prices. We also issue official World Health Organization vaccine certificates to all travel patients.
Roger Miller, MD (OSU Student Health)