Help! I saw blood on the toilet paper after I wiped – what should I do!?

mayo foundation

Q: Help! I saw bright red blood on the toilet paper after I wiped.  What should I do!? 

Short A: Come in to see us so we can check it out.

Long A: Don’t panic. We see this all the time at Student Health and it’s rarely as scary as it looks.  You’re probably dealing with a hemorrhoid: a very common, and literal, pain in the butt. 

Hemorrhoids are abnormally swollen veins in the rectum or anus that bleed with minor pressure, such as that which occurs from bowel movements.  They can be painful or painless depending on their location, and are often associated with rectal pain and itching, a lump that you can feel and/or rectal bleeding. 

Risk factors for developing hemorrhoids include

• Poor fiber intake
  • Prolonged sitting or standing
  • Being overweight
  • Pregnancy
  • Chronic constipation or diarrhea
  • Engaging in anal sex

When you come to the Student Health Center, we will ask you a lot of embarrassing questions and do an embarrassing examination to rule out other more serious causes of rectal bleeding such as infections, inflammatory bowel disease, anal fissures and even (rarely) colon cancer.  Since some hemorrhoids are located a few inches inside the rectal canal, we may have to use a small, lubricated, clear plastic tube called an anoscope to look on the inside.

The mainstay of hemorrhoid treatment (and prevention) is fiber, fiber, fiber.  Most of us don’t get enough fiber in our diet, which leads to constipation, which leads to straining to have a bowel movement, which leads to increased pressure in the rectal veins which… you get the idea.  Supplementing your diet with soluble fiber supplements (Metamucil or Benefiber) will work wonders for this problem.  Other things you can do include:

• Avoid straining and prolonged sitting on the toilet
  • Lose weight if necessary
  • Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day
  • Exercise regularly
  • Gently clean the anal area with soft, moistened paper after each bowel movement and avoid the urge to scratch – as an old family doctor once told me: “Wipe, don’t polish!”

Again, while it can certainly be scary, rectal bleeding is rarely a sign of a life-threatening condition.  But if it happens to you, be sure to see your health care provider to make sure it isn’t, especially if the bleeding is dark brown or black, is heavy, you feel weak or light-headed, or the pain gets suddenly a lot worse.

John A. Vaughn, MD
Student Health Services
The Ohio State University

11 thoughts on “Help! I saw blood on the toilet paper after I wiped – what should I do!?

1. Hi, today this morning I had the same thing that happened to me . when I wiped I saw bright red blood in the toilet paper but none on the toilet. It does not hurt but I got scared because this was the first time it happens to me. I’m 18 and weight 229 lbs and my height is 5.7. I am overweight and need to be more aware of my health. And also i dont eat enough fiber so that might be the problem. Thanks this helped a lot !

2. I am a 24 yr old female. About 2 weeks ago, after urinating I went to wipe and found light, bright red blood on the toilet paper, enough to cover the entire paper. It wasn’t in the urine, only on the toilet paper. I went to wipe again, but didn’t see anything more.
    It only happened this one time. No pain. It had been 1 week since my last period and my periods have ALWAYS been very REGULAR. And I had intercourse about 5 days before this happened.

What can this be? Should I get it checked? I’m not sure how serious I should take it.

3. Hi I am 30 year old since a week I had this problem dark blood and I can tell u the pain in my anus it’s like some body put a knife in my anus what can I do i am a gay I do anal sex please tell me what can I do tell me some medicen

4. so i have had discharge since august, and it’s almost December. I’ve had brown discharge twice, and today i went to the bath room and saw darkish-blood when i wiped, after that i had regular discharge, so i don’t know why that happen or what it means, i don’t know if it is this, it was a medium sized amount and does not hurt.

5. Hi my name is Nicholas I’m 18 years old, I’m 1 m 85 and I weight 86 kg. The first time I detected blood after I wiped was the first week of November, it was just that day the next time I wiped I was fine, but now I’ve noticed it again, it’s bright red and i’ve also noticed that there isn’t blood in my stool. I’m not gay and I don’t have any form of anal penetration, my rectum doesn’t hurt nor does it itch I don’t think i’m overweight. What should i do?

• Nicholas, It’s best to schedule an appointment with your doctor to get things checked out. It might be nothing, but then again it might be not. Best to know for sure.

6. Watery blood comes out if my rectum at random times. I drink little water. I don’t have anal sex, I am 5 foot 7 and 105 pounds. I am 13 and a healthy weight with a lot of regular exercise. It started when I fell of a roof. I only have rip pain. It started 3 days ago/has been present for 3 days. It doesn’t hurt, or itch. It doesn’t happen when I poop.

• It sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order. Whenever you’ve had an event – such as falling off a roof, and your body starts acting outside of what’s normal for you, then it’s time to head to the doctor. Actually, even if you don’t have an event and your body starts acting outside the norm, go see your doctor.