Help! I saw blood on the toilet paper after I wiped – what should I do!?

mayo foundation

Q: Help! I saw bright red blood on the toilet paper after I wiped.  What should I do!? 

Short A: Come in to see us so we can check it out.

Long A: Don’t panic. We see this all the time at Student Health and it’s rarely as scary as it looks.  You’re probably dealing with a hemorrhoid: a very common, and literal, pain in the butt. 

Hemorrhoids are abnormally swollen veins in the rectum or anus that bleed with minor pressure, such as that which occurs from bowel movements.  They can be painful or painless depending on their location, and are often associated with rectal pain and itching, a lump that you can feel and/or rectal bleeding. 

Risk factors for developing hemorrhoids include

• Poor fiber intake
  • Prolonged sitting or standing
  • Being overweight
  • Pregnancy
  • Chronic constipation or diarrhea
  • Engaging in anal sex

When you come to the Student Health Center, we will ask you a lot of embarrassing questions and do an embarrassing examination to rule out other more serious causes of rectal bleeding such as infections, inflammatory bowel disease, anal fissures and even (rarely) colon cancer.  Since some hemorrhoids are located a few inches inside the rectal canal, we may have to use a small, lubricated, clear plastic tube called an anoscope to look on the inside.

The mainstay of hemorrhoid treatment (and prevention) is fiber, fiber, fiber.  Most of us don’t get enough fiber in our diet, which leads to constipation, which leads to straining to have a bowel movement, which leads to increased pressure in the rectal veins which… you get the idea.  Supplementing your diet with soluble fiber supplements (Metamucil or Benefiber) will work wonders for this problem.  Other things you can do include:

• Avoid straining and prolonged sitting on the toilet
  • Lose weight if necessary
  • Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day
  • Exercise regularly
  • Gently clean the anal area with soft, moistened paper after each bowel movement and avoid the urge to scratch – as an old family doctor once told me: “Wipe, don’t polish!”

Again, while it can certainly be scary, rectal bleeding is rarely a sign of a life-threatening condition.  But if it happens to you, be sure to see your health care provider to make sure it isn’t, especially if the bleeding is dark brown or black, is heavy, you feel weak or light-headed, or the pain gets suddenly a lot worse.

John A. Vaughn, MD
Student Health Services
The Ohio State University

93 thoughts on “Help! I saw blood on the toilet paper after I wiped – what should I do!?

1. Hi, today this morning I had the same thing that happened to me . when I wiped I saw bright red blood in the toilet paper but none on the toilet. It does not hurt but I got scared because this was the first time it happens to me. I’m 18 and weight 229 lbs and my height is 5.7. I am overweight and need to be more aware of my health. And also i dont eat enough fiber so that might be the problem. Thanks this helped a lot !

2. I am a 24 yr old female. About 2 weeks ago, after urinating I went to wipe and found light, bright red blood on the toilet paper, enough to cover the entire paper. It wasn’t in the urine, only on the toilet paper. I went to wipe again, but didn’t see anything more.
    It only happened this one time. No pain. It had been 1 week since my last period and my periods have ALWAYS been very REGULAR. And I had intercourse about 5 days before this happened.

What can this be? Should I get it checked? I’m not sure how serious I should take it.

3. Hi I am 30 year old since a week I had this problem dark blood and I can tell u the pain in my anus it’s like some body put a knife in my anus what can I do i am a gay I do anal sex please tell me what can I do tell me some medicen

4. so i have had discharge since august, and it’s almost December. I’ve had brown discharge twice, and today i went to the bath room and saw darkish-blood when i wiped, after that i had regular discharge, so i don’t know why that happen or what it means, i don’t know if it is this, it was a medium sized amount and does not hurt.

5. Hi my name is Nicholas I’m 18 years old, I’m 1 m 85 and I weight 86 kg. The first time I detected blood after I wiped was the first week of November, it was just that day the next time I wiped I was fine, but now I’ve noticed it again, it’s bright red and i’ve also noticed that there isn’t blood in my stool. I’m not gay and I don’t have any form of anal penetration, my rectum doesn’t hurt nor does it itch I don’t think i’m overweight. What should i do?

• Nicholas, It’s best to schedule an appointment with your doctor to get things checked out. It might be nothing, but then again it might be not. Best to know for sure.

6. Watery blood comes out if my rectum at random times. I drink little water. I don’t have anal sex, I am 5 foot 7 and 105 pounds. I am 13 and a healthy weight with a lot of regular exercise. It started when I fell of a roof. I only have rip pain. It started 3 days ago/has been present for 3 days. It doesn’t hurt, or itch. It doesn’t happen when I poop.

• It sounds like a trip to the doctor is in order. Whenever you’ve had an event – such as falling off a roof, and your body starts acting outside of what’s normal for you, then it’s time to head to the doctor. Actually, even if you don’t have an event and your body starts acting outside the norm, go see your doctor.

7. I am 17 years old boy who took a poop and I wipes see about a ping pong size blood I’ve been light heAded since I have woken up and I have been having gas, blinding, and constipation. Please tell me what is the problem. Thanks

Unknown

8. Alright so I had this for a super long time when I wiped was about 3 years ago but it only happen once then. But now it happens all the time lot of blood to cover the paper it self Its super light red like it just came out, and only hunts when I’m passing other then that I’m fine.

• Schedule an appointment with your doctor. You shouldn’t see blood, no matter how light and you should not be experiencing discomfort. Best to head to your doctor to rule out any serious conditions.

• hello peeps well i know how ya feel my ass is bleeding feels like a knife ripping my anal canal im 27 it burns and im not bi nore gay went to the docs and im fine just hurts like hell i also have alot of anxiety panic attacks at random feel like the hulk at times everything triggers it

• Brandy, It’s hard for me to say without knowing your history. Tell your parents or guardian. They can then assist you and better determine if a trip to the doctor is in order.

9. I’m a 16 yr old girl and for about 2 years now whenever Im constipated or whatever I always get a hemorrhoid. It will go down after a few weeks but when I get constipated again it gets bigger. I haven’t told my parents yet and I’m scared to go to the doctor. What’s the worst thing that can happen if I don’t tell anyone?

• A hemorrhoid is a swollen vein. It can be inside or outside the anal canal. If your hemorrhoid continues to act up, the vein wall may become weaker and weaker. Based upon your comment, the issue is really your constipation. That is what is irritating your hemorrhoid. WebMD says that the best way to prevent hemorrhoids or to keep them from getting worse is to employ healthy habits. Eat foods that have lots of fiber, such as fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Drink plenty of water and get plenty of exercise.

And don’t be embarrassed to tell your parents. Most likely they have experienced hemorrhoids at some point in their lives and can sympathize with what you are experiencing.

If changes in your lifestyle do not seem to be working, go to the doctor. It could be that something else is causing the hemorrhoid and you’d want to get that figured out and corrected as quickly as possible. Two years is too long to be suffering from something that could have been corrected.

• I know the truth and mothers are always there for you. Your parents want you to be safe and healthy. so the best thing is to tell your parents even though you are scared.

10. I always have blood on the tissue after a bowel movement, but today I noticed the water was red there was so much blood?

11. So today i noticed after wiping i had a tiny bit of blood. It was very light. I had stomach aches this past week and couldn’t poop for like 2 days. Until i drank a cup of prune juice. I basically pooped all night well in and out of the restroom all night. It was all water and stuff. Today is the 2nd day i think since that night. I’m still pooping fluids and the blood thing happened.What can i do..

• It could be that with the stomach ache and constipation that you strained a bit trying to get everything started which resulted in a hemorrhoid and the tiny bit of blood you saw. Keep an eye on it and if it continue, schedule an appointment with your doctor. As far as the diarrhea goes, you should see your doctor if:

You have diarrhea for more than three days

You have severe pain in the abdomen or rectum

You have a fever of 102 degrees Fahrenheit or higher

You see blood in your stool or have black, tarry stools

You have signs of dehydration.

12. Hi…I’m 13 male and today this morning I took my regular Poo and I noticed after I wiped there was blood on the paper…same thing happens yesterday but I wasn’t worried …but now I’m getting scared

• Talk to your parents and let them know what’s going on. I know it might be embarrassing and sounds a bit disgusting, but next time you poo and you notice the blood, don’t flush and save the TP. Go get one of your parents and have them take a look. Better to have a bit of embarrassment and some good advice than to keep it to yourself and risk a serious health condition.

13. I am 20 years old . Yesterday night I had a bleeding from my laterine (poo) . Whn I saw aftr wipeng there was a blood in the water . It never happend before . Today I am so affaid due to this problem . Before it has happened ,but sometimes there was a blood in the laterine (tiny) , but it has happened while ago. Plz help me out . REPLY PLZZZZ

• Make an appointment with your doctor. If there’s enough blood that you can see it in the water, it’s best to get things checked out just to be sure.

14. This happens to me at least once per week ( tiny amount of blood on paper ). There is no pain, was wondering if I need to see a Dr. about it. Thanks for any reply

15. To sum it up it happens about once a week to me with tiny amount of blood on paper and only hurts to wipe when there is blood on paper.

16. Hi.. I am a 27yro female that has been experiencing some off and on anal bleeding.. I really freaked out by this cuz idk if it’s normal or not… But about two weeks ago my stools was kinda hard which ended up causing an anal fissure it bleed for like six days when I went to the bathroom the blood was on the stool and after I wiped it was bright red.. So it stopped for bleeding for like three days I didn’t see and blood in stool or after I wiped.. Than the third day I went to the bathroom no pain nothing but there was blood in my stool but not after I wiped.. Just in the stool it was bright red.. Than the next day I went the same thing happened only the blood was a darker red… This is what scares me.. So again it stopped no signs of bleeding for like two days ..I been going fairly often now that I been taken two stool softer and a glass of fiber a day.. So I thought it would fixed the problem… Well two days later I went to the bathroom like three times.. Today not much came out each time.. But stool looks normal there wasn’t any blood in the stool.. But when I wiped there was some dark red blood on the toliet not much but now my butt is burning a bit and feels irritated now… I only have like one piece of stool come out each time I went today it scares Me to death cuz I didn’t have and bleeding until the third time it was just on the tp kinda dark red that what scares me the most is the jumping back and forwards to dark red that light red is this normal it doesn’t bleed alot it stops after I’m done going to the bathroom…. But some times it’s just in the stool and after I wiped sometimes both.. I hope this isn’t a sign of colon cancer I go to a gastro Doc in six days but I’m having a hard time dealing with the one and off bleeding from dark to bright I need a piece of mine that nothing bad is wrong. is this normal with a anal fissure.. I do have hemorrhoids… Is the dark red bleeding normal when u have these problems and why won’t it stop.. Something bad is wrong ain’t it :(

17. Hi, im 13 years old. im in 8th grade and weigh 152. I look average in my weight. not fat or anything, but im 152. Everytime im done going number 2. i wipe and theres some blood. Its bright red, but after the second time i wipe its a dark red. Whenever im wiping im not wiping my poop anymore. Its just blood that’s coming off. And im not sure if its being overweight because im strong and have muscle. and do karate 3 times a week. So i need help, not sure if i should tell my mom because shes crazy and will auto maticly assume its cancer. Please help.

18. I noticed blood on the tissue after I wipe. I had an anal sex two nights ago and the next morning I found out this thing. How could I stop the bleeding?

19. Hi. . im a 37yr old female, weight 120. For two days I have been noticing spots of bright red blood on my TP after I poop. I was constipated for about a week, but also I’ve been experiencing dull pressure like pain around my anal, buttocks and pain in my lower to mid back . I have external hemorrhoids , but I’ve had them for 23yrs every since I gave birth. I don’t drink as much water as I should, and my fiber diet sucks. I’m freaking out. .. Not sure what to do or what this means.

20. Hello, I’ve always had constipation since I was 12 of age and It wasn’t that severe and no bleeding there was, until these years where the blood comes out dark black after the stool and when I wipe the TP is soaked with blood though the fact that I drink 4 glasses of water in each meal, yet among all fruits, I only eat Bananas and little of vegetables, but I’m keeping fit, doing sport daily and jogging however, I can’t seem to be getting rid of this problem, should I consult a doctor ? I’m 24 now

21. I am a little girl and yesterday it starting hurting when I used the bathroom at the end then the next day when I used the bathroom I felt pain and saw red! I was so scared and I’m trying to find how to stop it all day! Thank you so much! And because I’m a little girl I am very scared when I see blood so thank you again!

• The next time you go to the bathroom and there’s blood, don’t flush. Go and get an adult and tell them what’s going on and have them take a look. I know it sounds kind of disgusting and even a bit embarrassing, but really this is important. They will know if a visit to the doctor is necessary.

22. Hello, reading this blog i feel brave enough to post my problem, i am 24 years(Male), i think its been years for me some times i get blood, very very few times pain i consulted a “street doctor” he said because of body heat(for sure i have lot of heat in my body) no need to worry, i had a habit of doing “fellatio” lot of times, at least twice a day (some days i do 5+ times) will this effect bleeding.

• Blood and pain, even if the pain is rare, – these are things that are not typically normal for an individual. And blood/pain occurring in the nether regions – definitely not normal and not something to ignore. The next time it occurs, take a moment to jot down:

Anything you can think of that might have caused the blood/pain. Perhaps you had on some new workout clothes while running and they fit a bit more snug that you are used to.

The color and amount. These are both very important. I know it sounds a bit – Ok – a lot gross, but you know that old adage – a picture speaks a thousand words… If you end up going to the doctor a picture would really help them in their diagnosis.

Then schedule an appointment with your doctor and get things checked. Better to risk a bit of embarrassment and find out everything is OK, than to find out later that something that was very treatable has now become serious.

23. Q: Help! I saw brown spots on the toilet paper after I wiped. What should I do!? I’m a women & I don’t think it my period beacause so far I didn’t see any blood

• Is this just a one time occurrence or is it continuing to happen? If it’s just a one time occurrence, it could just be spotting from your period. If it is consistent, give your GYN a call and tell them what’s happening. They’ll then be able to tell you if you should come in for an appointment.

24. I’m a 38 year old woman. I’m having regular soft bowl movements but I bleed extremely bad every time I go. I’m not straining at all when I go. I have just noticed in the last couple days after I urinate and I wipe I have quite a bit of blood on the toilet paper and its also dropping in the toilet, it almost reminds me of a period…but that’s impossible for me since I had a hysterectomy 14 years ago. Is this normal for hymroids and should I be worried enough to get it checked out?

25. My son is 9 yrs old. He went to the bathroom the other day. Had some blood. He said it hurt a little bit. He felt fine then. But he went to the bathroom this evening and there was a lot of blood this time. He said he is feeling fine. But we are both scared. I have other children and this is the first time to see this happen.

26. What does it mean when you get your period, and your rectum bleeds at the same time? I just had a colonoscopy and that came out great nothing wrong, but this has been going on for a year.

27. Just today I had to go use the bathroom a lot and saw that tere was red spots that were part of my poop. What does this mean? I’m 13, 4 ft 10 in, and I weigh 89.6 pounds.

• The next time you go to the bathroom and you see the red spots, get an adult to come and check things out. They will be table to tell you if it looks serious or not.

28. Hey! Im only 13, and yesterday I went to the toilet, did a number 2 and, it didnt seem too ‘hard’ to get out, but when I wiped, there was some blood. Im not sure if it was just the tissue ripping slightly, or if its something else. I’ve never been constipated, or anything. I haven’t seen anymore blood since yesterday. It honestly scared me knowing it came out my butt…but what do you think I should do? If I see it again should I tell my parents?? Thanks if you reply :)

29. hello sir, I am 20 year old female .I have seen light red blood in motion and I was scared .I did not yet have period at time.

30. Hi I’m Emily, I just pooped and I saw bright red blood in the stool and toilet, I am 12 and I weigh 120 pounds. I’m very scared by this, I have had diarrhea for the past couple of day, and my period stoped about a week ago. Please help me. . . I’m very scared by this and its 1:27 so I don’t wanna wake my mom and sister. Please write back -Emily

• Emily,

Unfortunately BuckMD is one of those early to bed type of individuals and would definitely not be awake at 1:27am in the morning. If you are still seeing blood tell your mom. This is not something you want to ignore.

31. Hi . Im 32 im 234 lbs im currently on a diet and im on phetrmn diet pill. I noticed bright red when i wiped after i had a bm . My bms are hard to push out im in no pain and have no other syntoms or any thing. But i am a little worried . Is it because of the diet pill ? Will this make my bm’s hard??? Thanks

• Take a look at your diet. Are you drinking a lot of water? What about fiber? These are things that should be a part of your diet and if missing could cause you have to have difficult BMs.

32. Hello,
    I am 16 years old, girl, and am a sprinter in track. Lately we have been doing some strenuous workouts and everytime I run hard to finish I get a sensation like I am getting ready to pee my pants or like I am pushing something out of my vagina. Also, after these harsher workouts when I pee and wipe there is blood (not from periods) on the toilet paper, but not in my urine. I also bruise very easly on my legs and somewhat easily on the rest of my body. What could all of this mean?

• Have you mentioned this to your doctor? What about during your sports physical? I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your doctor and discussing these symptoms.

33. today after passing my business there was nothing red in the toilet..then i wiped, after that it drips a lot…its been happening off and on for years…at first it was just a lil on the paper…now it drips for a minute or so..it bright red..and when i shower just after it stops…im 31…154lbs….5’11”..please advise would help a lot

34. So everything feels normal but there’s blood when I wipe. Everything looks normal, too. I had a hemorrhoid late last year, but it was internal. Is this just an external hemorrhoid? I don’t feel sick and I found the spot that’s the source of the blood: left cheek just outside the anus and it feels like something that popped. But I didn’t feel a pop. I’m not worried really after reading the previous comments but I am obviously curious and concerned enough to ask.

• It sounds like an external hemorrhoid, but impossible to say without an actual appointment. Monitor it and if it doesn’t improve, go see the doc.

35. Hi, I’m 15 & I’m overweight. I weigh 201 & my height is 5’1. Well to start off with.. I still haven’t had my period so idk if this has something to do with it, it was suppose to start on the 23rd but I guess I’m missing it this month idk. I normally have a REGULAR period. But um well a few weeks ago, I’ve started getting this inch on my anus after I pooped or at night. Well just 3 weeks ago, it seems like every time I poop, i feel like its tearing my skin upwards & when I wipe I’ve been getting blood on the toilet paper. Well today. I pooped & it hurt a lot, felt like it was cutting my anus a bit open & when I wiped, almost the whole paper was filled with bright blood. (It was a lot of blood though) well I wiped again & nothing. Their was also blood in the toilet water & in my stool.. & oh yeah I’ve been trying to lose weight. So far I lost 10 pounds. So does that have something to do with this to.?

• It is excellent to hear that you’ve lost 10 pounds.

Have you been having difficulty when you poop? It could be that with your diet you have not been getting enough fiber or water and as a result are having a more difficult time with your poop. Try adding more fiber (veggies will do it and with very few calories) and drink more water. If your symptoms persist, tell your parents and schedule an appointment with your doctor.

36. Hello,
    I wanted to ask about my situation. I’ve been bleeding through my rectum for a month now and I suffer quite a lot when I have to defecate and i bleed each time, the pain stays through the day but not as much as when i go to the bathroom. When i bleed sometimes the blood is not liquid but it has some sort of ¿meat? It’s very strange, the blood is normal color red. But it really really hurts, I’m 16 years old and I weigh 51 kg, I’m 165 cm tall. I drink a lot of water everyday. And still the stool is as hard as a rock.
    Please I need help
    Thank you.

37. this happened to me but 3 times, 2 in the same week and the other time was in the following week I’m only 13 i’m 4’8 and I weigh like 68-70 pounds
    is it normal
    and do any of you know what this is

• It’s impossible to say without an actual doctor visit. Tell your parents. Have them schedule a doctor appointment for you.

38. Okay so for quite awhile now I’ve been have some blood in my poop. Like I can see the blood in my stool and when I wipe. Plus it’s bright red. I’ve never had any brownish red blood in my stool. But I’ve talked to my dad and he told me it’s nothing and that it happened to my uncles all the time. But it’s like now it’s been happening quite often and before it wouldn’t be so bad and would go away within a few days. But I’m honestly getting a little weird but I can’t afford going to the doctor and my parents refuse to help me with any of my pdevious bills as it is. I’m 19 years old and a female. But can this be something I can take care of myself? Should I just get stool softeners or eat more fiber? See it doesn’t hurt or bug me. So I’m not having any problems there with pain or anything. So what do you think I should do? Or what is this going on? If you could help me out that would be great! Please and thank you!

• It’s really impossible to correctly ascertain your situation without an actual doctor visit. Look around and see if there’s a free clinic in your area.

39. This happened to me three weeks ago, i was in the freds bathroom and i finished u went to wipe had blood in my paper and the toilet was red, well i drank water and slowed down to chew and it went away. today i was in a rush so i ate quickly and got back to work… i went to the bathroom and did my daily business (no blood since the above mentioned) and went to wipe, pulled the paper up and it was soaked in bright red blood. wiped again then plugged the hole and there was only spots. the passing of the (football) was large and i felt it rip open. should i be worried, its not an every day occurance and im getting a little upset that it keeps happening lol.

40. Hi, my period is due on the 7th, but today when I went poo, I saw brownish-reddish spots that floated on the surface of the water like oil in water. When I wiped the same color was on the tissue, but very light. Please help.

41. This has been happening to me for months.. Well I’m not overweight but I do sit on the toilet for a very long time.. Dang it’s so relaxing that is might be worth these.. Lol just kidding…

42. So earlier today I pooped and at the end of it i saw a little bit of bright blood. the blood didnt go in the water it was just on the poo and a dot on the toilet paper. because i strain ( although it has been 2 days now that i have changed my diet, so i have more fibers in me) i believe its maybe because of fissures or internal hemorrhoids. its the first time it happens to me, im 20 and overweight of 30 pounds. what do you think? thanks

43. It could be implantation bleeding, The main difference lies in the nature of vaginal discharge. In regular menstruation, there is heavy bleeding, which can last for three days and the menstrual discharge is red in color. But in implantation bleeding, there is no actual bleeding. Implantation bleeding is like spotting, which is pinkish or brownish in color. Usually, it is not associated with the symptoms of menstruation like pain, backache and cramps. However, some women may experience such symptoms too. Kindly you can visit this link http://aboutgettingpregnant.com .

44. I am 54 y and had a total hysterctomy about 12 yrs ago. About 3 weeks ago I stood up and felt like I wet myself. When I went to the bathroom, I saw it was blood rather than pee. I went to the ER and was told I had hematuria and uti. I was on antibiotics for 7 days. After day 1, the blood looked more like poop in my pee than blood. After 3 days, it turned red again and then stopped. I had NO pain nor burning, just mild cramps. @ days ago I started with brownish spots in my undies, and today looks like poop again. I have no pain nor burning, no cramps, no odor. When I stand up I feel like air bubblesin the front (not gas). What could this be? Any cause for alarm?

45. I have constant itchin on my anus area, and when I wipe after going to the bathroom it hurts a bit and sometime when wiping a little bit harder i can see a very small light red blood stain on the paper. I do spend a lot of my day sat down. Could it be hemorroids? I though that since it itched a lot it could be some sort of fungus but idk. please anwer