The Following is a special guest post from your friendly neighborhood campus counseling center. Check it out – it’s a good one!
Spring quarter is the busiest time of year for Counseling and Consultation Service. The stress of graduation, multiple transitions and other concerns keep us moving to help the students of the Ohio State University. During this time you may experience a longer wait for an initial consultation and even longer for a first session appointment with your assigned counselor. In many cases it could be 2-3 weeks before you can get in.
In the meantime, we would like to offer you some suggestions for what to do while you are waiting for an appointment.
If you are in need of immediate assistance, please call and ask to speak to an urgent counselor Monday- Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. If you need immediate assistance outside of our normal business hours, please call Net Care Access at (614) 276-CARE (2273) or go to the nearest emergency department.
Some Quick Tips for Improved Health and well-being:
- Try to get 7-9 hours of sleep per night!
- Go to the gym!
- Eat more fruits and vegetables!
- Learn time management skills!
- Think positive!
- Walk to class!
- Drink more water!
- Set realistic goals!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help!
- Create a bedtime routine!
- Vary your meals!
We provide drop in workshops on a weekly and quarterly basis. They are free and open to all students:
- Chi-lel Qigong: Every Thursday at 9:00- 10:00 a.m. Younkin 300
- Feel Better Fast: Every Thursday 4:00- 5:00 p.m. Younkin 324
- Self Management Skills: Every Wednesday 3:00-4:30 p.m.Younkin 324
- Mental Skills for Stress Management: Mondays, May 7,14 and 21, 4:00-5:00 pm, Younkin 300
Self Esteem Workshop: Monday, May 21 3:30 -4:30 pm, Younkin 430, please check in with front desk.
- We have and extensive group program that offers 25+ groups each quarter to meet individual needs. A full list of our spring quarter offerings can be found at here.
We have urgent counselors Monday thru Friday 9:00 am- 5:00 pm. If you need immediate assistance outside of our normal business hours, please call Net Care Access at (614) 276-CARE (2273) or go to the nearest emergency department.
- We have a 3 minute breathing practice and many other favorite videos to help you get your needs met.
We also favorite videos that help, inspire and educate students on a variety of mental health issues.
We share weekly inspirational quotes, link to inspiring stories on a variety of mental health topics and update the campus community on CCS offerings.
Other facilities that offer therapy with a fee to both students and community residents:
- Couples & Family Clinic
- Psychological Services Center
- Anxiety and Stress Disorders Clinic
- Harding Hospital at Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State
- Walter E. Dennis Learning Center free, confidential, one-on-one appointments. Trained in learning and motivation strategies, Learning Specialists work with Ohio State students to examine academic strengths and weaknesses, and explore strategies that lead to success in college
- Student Advocacy can help advocate for you with other entities on campus, mediate with your professors, help you determine whether or not you need to withdraw from classes, etc.
- Office of Disability Services can help you determine if you are eligible for disability services depending on your functional limitations in the academic setting
- Student Consolidated Services is a new service designed to help you solve problems and answer questions about financial aid and registration issues
- Financial counseling
- Student Housing Legal Clinic offers free legal advice about landlord-tenant concerns
- Student Health Services
- Student Health Insurance Program
- Student Wellness
- Sexual Violence Education and Support
We offer counseling and therapy to help you address personal, mental health, academic, and career concerns. Both individual and group counseling are available. In counseling, we work together to help you develop more personal awareness and the skills needed to overcome problems and help you grow and develop in ways that allow you to take advantage of the educational opportunities at the university. We are also available to provide consultation to faculty and staff who are concerned about the well-being and academic success of OSU students. Most services free, all services are confidential.