There’s a Harlot on campus you’ve got to meet!

click to enlarge

Harlot: A Revealing Look at the Arts of Persuasion, an outstanding online magazine created and edited by graduate students in our very own English Department, just published their 4th issue – Rhetoric at Work.  This issue of Harlot “offers fresh insights into our everyday experiences by examining the curious and powerful ways persuasion operates within the workplace.” 

What does an online literary magazine about rhetoric have to do with health care?  Well, it contains an essay I wrote about a patient encounter that taught me the powerful impact – both good and bad – that persuasion can have on a patient’s relationship with her doctor and her illness.  My goal was to get people thinking about their health care in a new way; please check it out and let me know if I was successful or not.

In addition to my essay, the issue includes a sculptor gently refusing to explain what her art “means;” a chaplain shaping her spiritual identity as professional development; two professors not-so-gently poking fun at J.CREW’s catalog of gender norms; and a police officer explaining what’s really going on when you get pulled over.  Thought provoking stuff – and it’s all thanks to the efforts of your fellow students. 

So take a few minutes and visit Harlot.  It’s always inspiring to see what amazing things are being done right here on our campus, and who knows – maybe you’ll be inspired to think about how the art of persuasion impacts your life and share it with others.  I’m sure they would love to hear from you.   

John A. Vaughn, MD (OSU SHS)