Is it unhealthy for guys to masturbate daily?

click to enlarge

Q: Is it unhealthy to masturbate daily?

A: I have a family member who is a police officer in another state.  As part of the hiring process he had to undergo a psychological evaluation, during which he was asked the following question: “Would you rather have sex or read a book?” 

Without missing a beat, he answered: “Well… am I in a library?”

Besides being pretty hilarious, what does that story have to do with answering your question?  Everything.  It depends on the situation

If you’re asking if there are risks of physical harm from frequent masturbation, the answer is no.  I suppose if you’re giving yourself rug burns or carpal tunnel syndrome, you should tone it down a notch.  But if you’re talking about the whole “you’ll go blind” or “you’ll grow hair on your palms” stuff – the answer is a definitive no.   It doesn’t affect fertility (unlike the ladies, who are born with all of the eggs they’ll ever have, guys constantly replenish sperm throughout their lives) or cause any other physical problems.

Could it even be good for you?  There’s been some press lately that frequent ejaculation (either alone or with a partner) lowers the risk of prostate cancer.  One study seemed to indicate that men who averaged 20+ ejaculations per month had a significantly lower risk of developing prostate cancer compared to men who average 4-7 per month.  But there are some problems with the study that make it hard to say whether or not this relationship is really true. 

HOWEVER… there are times when frequent masturbation can be a sign of trouble.  Obviously, if you feel it’s causing a problem in your life – making you feel guilty, anxious, depressed, or causing problems with relationships – then it should be addressed.   And if it is compulsive – you want to stop but you can’t – that can be a sign of a more serious issue like Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD). 

I know this is a “touchy” topic (sorry… couldn’t resist), but it’s a very common question so you shouldn’t feel embarrassed.  Odds are you’ve got absolutely nothing to worry about – but if you are, the clinical staff at Student Health or CCS can help. 

John A. Vaughn, MD (OSU SHS)

photo: sfweekly.com

4 thoughts on “Is it unhealthy for guys to masturbate daily?

1. okay, i get some of what your saying, but I need to ask (out of worry) is it normal to play with myself almost 5-8 times a week? I mean I try to not “please myself”, on a 12-hour basis, but even then… when I see women in very short exotic shorts, or skirts and legs are all… you know…. apparent I want to masterbate, right then. yet my gut instinct is telling me that
    I need to : wait for the day to finish, there are….other ladies out there to view and fixate about when masterbating.

seriously, tough would not masterting after some time (that and the fact I really fixate on Females and their anatomy) would make me go a little wonko?

• There is nothing wrong with masturbating, but when something consumes your thoughts throughout the day, whether it is the issue described here, food, gaming, exercise, etc., then it could be that you are obsessing and that might not be healthy. I would recommend taking the time to talk with someone, such as a counselor, to determine if you are indeed obsessing and if it could be harmful. Counseling and Consultation at The Ohio State University offers free counseling sessions for currently enrolled students. You can find out more at their website: http://ccs.osu.edu/about-us-and-our-services/.

2. Counseling and Consultation at The Ohio State University offers free counseling sessions for currently enrolled students.

Maam ,
    first of all, Thank you. 2nd. I’m in california would there be a stressless-Free counseling or something, near my area of (95121) that might be available for part time Students like myself?

-Alexander

• It looks like your zip code is in San Jose? If you are a student at San Jose State University, they have a Counseling Center that offers free short-term personal counseling. You might check them out.