DSWS Spring ’19 Service Hours

This semester, I participated in the BuckeyeThon 2019 Dance Marathon as a general body member on the Dunn Sport and Wellness Scholars team. I learned about this campus organization through various people in DSWS and through advertising of the club on campus. BuckeyeThon is a club that raises money for children with cancer who are being treated at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. The club requires each participating member to raise $250 in order to be a part of the 24-hour dance marathon. During the marathon, members are encouraged to remain standing for the entirety of their 12-hour shift while also participating in various activities and games with kids and families affected by childhood cancer. This year, BuckeyeThon raised over $1.5 million for pediatric cancer and the Dunn Sport and Wellness Scholars team alone raised over $34,000. Being involved in a service driven club like this showed me the positive impact people can have on the community and that collectively we are stronger together. It also made me thankful for my health, and it made me realize that my pain and problems are only a minor inconvenience compared to those undergoing treatment. This experience has encouraged me to be a stronger and more positive leader because I am able to put things into perspective and encourage others to persevere through any obstacle. Because of service learning, I am a more well-rounded individual due to the experiences and perspectives I have gained through BuckeyeThon.