David Michael Bloome
School of Teaching and Learning
College of Education and Human Ecology
The Ohio State University
225 Ramseyer Hall, Columbus, Ohio 43210
- EHE Distinguished Professor of Teaching and Learning, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 2012 and continuing.
- Professor of Education, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 2003 to 2012.
- Professor of Education, Peabody College of Education, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee; 1995 to 2003.
- Professor of Education, Reading & Writing Program, School of Education, The University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1992 to 1995.
- Associate Professor of Education, Reading & Writing Program, School of Education, The University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1987 to 1992
- Associate Professor of Education, School of Education, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1986 to 1987
- Assistant Professor of Education, School of Education, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1981 to 1986
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Specialized Instructional Programs, College of Education, Cleveland State University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1980 to 1981
- Visiting Fulbright Scholar. Centre for International Education. Institute for Continuing and Professional Education. University of Sussex, Brighton, United Kingdom, 1992-1993
- Ph.D. – Kent State University, Kent, Ohio, 1981
- M.A. – State University of New York at Albany, Albany, NY, 1975
- B.A. – University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut, 1972
- Graduate Study in English and American Literature [30 Credit Hrs.] State University of New York at Albany, Albany, NY, 1973 to 1974
- Oxford Yiddish Program, Oxford Centre for Jewish Language and Literature, United Kingdom, Summer 1992.
PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHING EXPERIENCE
- English and Reading Teacher, Cleveland Public Schools, Cleveland, Ohio, 1975 to 1978 and 1979 to 1980
- Elementary School Teacher, Kent State University School, Kent, Ohio, 1978 to 1979
- Intern, Teacher Corps Program, Schenectady Public Schools, Schenectady, New York, 1974 to 1975
AWARDS and FELLOWSHIPS
- Fellow, American Educational Research Association, Inducted 2011
- Reading Hall of Fame. Inducted May 2008.
- American Educational Research Association Outstanding Reviewer Award (for service to the American Education Research Journal – Social and Institutional Analysis). 2007.
- College of Education Dean’s Distinguished Scholarship Award. Ohio State University. 2006.
- Appointed Fellow of the Robert Penn Warren Center for the Humanities, Vanderbilt University, 2001-2 Academic Year.
LEADERSHIP POSITIONS in PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Program Co-chair, Division G, American Educational Research Association, 2009-2010
- President, Past-President, President-elect, Vice President, National Council of Teachers of English, 2001-4.
- Delegate, International Federation of Teachers of English, 2003
- Co-Chair, NCTE Jewish Caucus, 2002 and continuing.
- Co-Chair, AERA Division G, Section 1 on Social Context of Teaching & Learning, Program Review, 2002
- Co-Chair, AERA Division C, Section 9, Program Review, 2001
- President of the National Conference on Research in English, 1991 (1991-2 president-elect, 1992-3 president, 1993-4 past president).
- Chair, AERA Special Interest Group on Language Development (1984-1986)
LEADERSHIP POSITIONS in HIGHER EDUCATION
- Director, Center for Video Ethnography and Discourse Analysis in Educational Research, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education and Human Ecology, The Ohio State University, 2009 and continuing.
- Director and Founder, Columbus Area Writing Project, 2003 and continuing.
- Graduate Program Director, School of Teaching and Learning, College of Education and Human Ecology, The Ohio State University (2006 to 2009)
- Graduate Program Director, Department of Teaching and Learning, Vanderbilt University, 2001-2002
- Appointed to UMASS Executive Board of the Massachusetts Society of Professors (1994-1995).
- Department Chair, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, School of Education, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, 1989-1990.
- Co-chair of the Jewish Faculty and Staff Group, University of Massachusetts, 1994-1995
- Co-Chair of the Chancellor’s Task Force on Jewish Awareness and Anti-Semitism, University of Massachusetts, 1994-1997.
- 2006 through 2012. Editor (with Ian Wilkinson) of Reading Research Quarterly.
- 1993 through 2003. Founder and Editor (with Jay Lemke) of Linguistics and Education: An International Research Journal.
EDITORIAL REVIEW BOARDS and RELATED ACTIVITIES
Editorial Review Boards
- Member, Editorial Board, American Educational Research Journal – Teaching, Learning, and Human Development section, 2010 and continuing.
- Member, International Multilingual Research Journal Editorial Review Board, 2007 and continuing.
- Member, Editorial Board, Qualitative Research, 2001 and continuing.Member, Editorial Advisory Board, Review of Research in Education, 34 (published in 2010). 2007-2008.
- Member, Editorial Review Board, Journal of Learning Sciences, 2005-2011.
- Member, American Educational Research Journal – Social and Institutional Analysis, Editorial Advisory Board, 2005-2008.Member, NRC Yearbook Editorial Advisory Board, 2002, 2004-2005
- Member Editorial Review Board of The Journal of Literacy Research, 1995 to 1999.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board The Reading Teacher, 1995-1997.
- Member,Advisory Board English Education, 1994 – 1997.
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board Journal of Reading Behavior, 1994 – 1995.
- Member, Editorial Review Board Reading Research Quarterly, 1991 – 1993.
- Editor with T. Chapman and P. Freebody of Section 7 (Methods of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts) of the Handbook of research on teaching the English language arts. [D. Lapp & D. Fisher, editors]. New York: Taylor & Francis.
- Co-editor of the book series Studies of Reading, Writing, and Language for John Benjamins, 2000-2008.
- Co-editor of the book series, Contemporary Studies in Linguistics and Education, Greenwood Press / IAP Press, 1999-2004.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Mass-Observation Occasional Paper Series, The University of Sussex, England, 1998 to 2005.
- Member of Editorial board of a monograph series on Language, School and Culture, Hampton Press; 1997 through 2003.
- Editorial Advisory Board of Ohio Reading Teacher (1981—1984)
- Occasional Reviewer for Research in the Teaching of English, American Educational Research Journal, Teaching & Teacher Education, Journal of Reading Behavior (Journal of Literacy Research), Curriculum Inquiry, Language Arts, Written Communication , Language & Education, Anthropology & Education Quarterly, Science Education, Cognition and Instruction, Applied Linguistics, Teachers College Record, Discourse Processes, Pedagogies, International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education, Educational Researcher, Urban Education, Discourse & Society, Applied Linguistics, Journal of Jewish Education
ACTIVITY IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- AERA Annual Meeting Policies and Procedures Committee member, 2011 to 2014.
- NCRLL Lifetime Achievement Award committee, 2010
- Honorary Member, NCTE LGBT Advisory Committee, 200.
- Member of the NCTE International Concerns Committee, 2004-2007.
- Advisory Panel to the College Board’s Commission on Writing, 2002-2003.
- Mentor, Division C Program for Doctoral Students and New Faculty, AERA, New Orleans, 2002
- Member of the NCTE Promising Research Award Committee, 1999-2000
- Member of NCTE Standing Committee of Research, 1999-2000
- Member of the National Reading Research Center Editorial Review Board, 1995 to 1997.
- Co-organized (with Myna Matlin) the Impact II Institutes on Understanding Language as a Foundation for Curriculum and Instruction (1994-1996).
- Member of NCTE Commission on Language, 1990 to 1993.
- Member of National Reading Conference Committee on Ethics, 1988-90
- Member of the National Council of Teachers of English Commission on Reading (1985-1988).
- Member of International Reading Association’s Committee on Special Projects and Institutes (1983-85).
- Member of International Reading Association Committee on Early Childhood and Literacy Development (1981-1984).
- Member of National Council of Teachers of English Committee on Alternative Ways of Assessing Children’s Oral and Written Language Development (1983 to 1987).
MISCELLANEOUS PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- Consultant, Reading For Understanding (funded by IES, Susan Goldman, PI)
- Consultant, Developing Contrastive Analysis for Teaching Academic Classroom English to Young African American English Speaking Students (funded by IES, Holly Craig, PI)
- Consultant, Becoming a Model Writing School, Avery Elementary School, Hilliard, OH 2007 to 2010.
- Advisory Board member (consultant) to “African-American Adolescents in a Black Suburb in the U.S. South” (Jerome Morris, PI) at the University of Georgia. 2005-2010.
- Workshop given to teachers in Southwestern City School District on Teaching Persuasive Writing (with Barry Alcock), June 15, 2008.
- Chair, Academic Program Review Team for Dept. of Language, Reading and Culture at the University of Arizona, 2007.
- Review of Ohio Department of Education English Language Arts Program Models, 2006.
- Guest interviewee on WCPN 90.3 Radio (Cleveland’s NPR affiliate) on the topic of New Literacies. May 3, 2005.
- Panelist for Arts Education Partnership Conference on The Arts and Literacy, Washington, DC, June 18-19, 2004.
- Member, Ohio State University Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing Oversight Committee. 2004-2008.
- Member, Edwyna Wheadon Scholarship Committee, 2004
- Judge for Power of the Pen Writing Contest, Columbus, OH, January 2004
- Reviewer for Spencer Foundation, Major Grants Program, 2003
- Everything You Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask: Publishing and Authorship. AERA, New Orleans, 2002
- Presenter, Journals Talk. AERA, New Orleans, 2002
- Member, Faculty Senate, Vanderbilt University, 1999-2002
- Member, Institutional Review Board, Vanderbilt University, 1999-2000
- Member of the Editorial Committee of Revista de Investigacion Educativa, 1992 -1993.
- Reviewer of Research Grant Applications for the Social Sciences and Humanities Council of Canada (1988, 1989, 1990, 1992).
- Reviewer of Research Grant Proposals for The Leverhulme Trust (U.K.) (1994).
- Member, Hillel House University Committee, 1998-1999
- Panelist, Wasting America’s Future: Children and Poverty. Sponsored by the Kennedy Center, February 2, 1999.
- Co-Chair of the 1998-1999 Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Series for Vanderbilt University
- Chair of the Affirmative Action And Diversity Committee Of The Peabody College Faculty Council 1996 to 1998
- Representative at-large elected to the Peabody College Faculty Council 1996 to 1999
- Member of the Affirmative Action and Diversity Committee of the Peabody College Faculty Council 1995 to 1999
- Member of the University of Massachusetts Writing Committee, 1988-1989.
- Member of UMASS Teacher Education Coordinating Council, 1990-1992
- Member of School of Education Academic Matters Committee, 1991-1992
- Member of the Board of Directors of The Literacy Project, Greenfield, 1987- 1991.
- Led Study Team on Parent Involvement in Schools for the Coalition for School Improvement (1989).
- Member of the Center for Research on Learning and Schooling, The University of Michigan (1985-1987).
- Program review committee for National Reading Conference (1984, 1985, 1988, 1991), AERA Division C (1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991)
- AERA Division G Program Committee Member(1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1992)
- AERA S.I.G. Language Development (1983-1988)
- IRA Elva Knight Award (1987, 1988)
- IRA research committee (1987, 1988).
- Prepared report on School Entrance Age for Michigan State House of Representatives Subcommittee of the Education Committee (1982).
- External Reviewer for Promotion / Promotion and Tenure – Cambridge University (UK), University of Arizona, Northwestern University, University of British Columbia (Canada), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Temple University, Arizona State University, University of Maine, Kent State University, University of Vermont, University of Georgia, University of California at Berkeley, Stanford University, University of Massachusetts, Indiana University, University of Florida, American University, Texas Women’s University, University of California at San Diego, University of California at Los Angeles, University of Rochester, University of London (UK), Lancaster University (UK), Bilkent University (Turkey).