– John F. Grimes, OSU Extension Beef Coordinator
The OSU Extension Beef Team will be hosting the 2019 Ohio Beef Cattle School. The School will be held on Tuesday, February 5, 2019 starting at 7:00 p.m. As in year’s past with the Beef School, county or area Extension offices will serve as hosts for local clientele.
Cattlemen have faced many environmental and production challenges thus far in the winter of 2018-2019. Strategies need to be implemented immediately to improve the chances for efficient and profitable production this year. Listed below is the agenda for the webinar:
“Winter Management of the Cow Herd to Insure a Productive 2019”
* Introduction: Analyzing the Current Situation: What is the quality and quantity of your hay supply and what is the body condition of your herd? – The OSU Extension Beef Team
* Nutritional requirements of the beef female for optimal performance from the last trimester through breeding season. Speaker: Dr. Steve Boyles, OSU Extension Beef Specialist, OSU Department of Animal Sciences
* Impacts of nutrition on heifer development and conception rates of heifers. Impacts of nutrition on days to return to estrus and conception rates of lactating females. Speaker: Dr. Alvaro Garcia Guerra, Assistant Professor, OSU Department of Animal Sciences
* Managing calf health born into stressful situations: Weak calves, importance of amount and timing of colostrum intake, colostrum replacers or supplements, suggested newborn treatments and vaccinations, etc. Speaker: Justin Kieffer, Clinical Veterinarian, Professional Practice, Assistant Professor, OSU Department of Animal Sciences
There are several locations around that state that will be hosting the webinar. Here is the direct link to the page at the OSU Extension Beef Team’s web site that lists the current host locations for the Beef School: http://u.osu.edu/beefteam/2019-ohio-beef-school/ . Contact the host at the location most convenient to you for any questions about registration or any other details relating to the program. I hope you will be able to participate in this informative program.