The Value in an Estrus Synchronization Program is More Pounds!

Stan Smith, OSU Extension PA, Fairfield County

Again last week I had the opportunity to attend the Ohio FFA Convention. While in many ways for me its deja vu all over again, as I mentioned last year I thoroughly enjoy walking through the Agriscience Fair that’s also now held annually during the convention.

A year ago in this publication I described the research that Utica FFA Chapter member Emily Dickson completed on her “Hay Covering 101” project. This year with breeding season upon us, I want to share what I observed regarding the “Cost and Time Efficiency of Beef Cow Estrus Synchronization and Timed Artificial Insemination,” a research project completed by Evan Smith of the Bloom Carroll FFA Chapter.

Much like I’d guess most would imagine, when I look at a project that centers on synched estrus and artificial insemination, I think about the advantages afforded by the opportunity to easily bring outstanding new genetics into the herd. In this particular case, the research report cited some work reported by Dr. Les Anderson and Paul Deaton from the University of Kentucky that showed an average of 109 pounds of additional “average” weaning weight resulting from an estrus synchronization program. A significant portion of that weight advantage results because all cows in the herd were bred earlier in the season as a result of the synchronization protocol, than if they had been bred randomly throughout the breeding season by a bull.

The second significant factor that I found interesting was that in this project the student found that he expended an average total of 38 minutes per cow completing his project. Using Anderson’s report of 109 pounds of additional weaning weight, this researcher concluded that he realized a return of $224 per hour invested in synchronizing the estrus and time breeding the cows involved in his project.

Here’s a recap of the highlights of Evan’s FFA Agriscience project where he utilized a 5-day CO-Synch+CIDR protocol:

* AI is used on less than 10% of commercial beef cattle herds because of the time involved and the difficulty for cattlemen to efficiently detect standing heat. * “. . . the main reason producers do not want to AI is it takes too much time and labor and is too complicated.” Dahlan, C. (2010). Farm & Ranch Guide.* The results of the 12 head used in this FFA project showed a 58.3% conception rate with less than 2/3 of an hour of time invested per cow.* The total cost of synchronizing each cow’s estrus including semen and insemination was $54.96 per cow.* Overall, the timed AI conception rate was 58.3% of the cows exposed.* Four of the five cows observed in standing heat after synchronization conceived.* Three of the seven cows that never showed sign of standing heat conceived.* Returns per hour invested in the ESAI program were $224.43 per hour of time spent.* Additional returns per cow exposed to the ESAI program were $142.14 per head.

This young researcher concluded: Synchronization programs can be harder and take more labor than just turning in a bull because it calls for a need of better facilities and more help for the days the cows are being handled. But, using AI makes it possible for the average cattle producer to use more advanced genetics to improve the overall herd. Synchronization programs followed by time breeding are more profitable than just owning a bull and are time efficient because it saves the time of constantly checking cows for heat. It allows use of the best AI bulls, and also gets all of the calves born earlier in the calving season making them heavier at weaning. And for larger herd owners, on some occasions, it is also less expensive than owning and maintaining enough bulls to get all the cows bred.

I’m looking forward to walking through next year’s Ohio FFA Agriscience Fair . . . stay tuned.