Even Slower Start for Grazing Than Last Year

Chris Penrose, Extension Educator, Agriculture & Natural Resources, Morgan County

Last year in the March 20 issue of this publication, I discussed waiting to start grazing pastures. This year, we are two weeks later and again pastures are still not ready to graze. Looking at extended weather forecasts, temperatures are still looking to be below normal, but temperatures are rising. Hopefully, the warmer weather this week will start getting some of our forages to start growing, but growth is way behind average. I was looking at some pictures from 2012, and on March 22, pastures were green and forsythia bushes were in full bloom. We are at least two and possibly three weeks behind average.

I discussed in the February 26 issue early grazing options, but we are way behind in terms of forage development. Currently, I have my cattle staged to start my rotation, but I am holding them on a high and dry paddock and continue to feed hay (photo below, taken last Saturday). I may sacrifice this paddock somewhat, but when the “flush” of new growth starts, I may skip that paddock and let it recover.

penrose0329

The worst thing we can do now is to have cattle graze too many paddocks to the ground, pug them up, and set everything back even further. I mentioned in February that we could set some paddocks back a little for the purpose of making better quality hay later, but that is if they are in good shape and just as the spring “flush” of growth starts and that is not here yet. It will be better to utilize stored feed for another week or two even if it means purchasing it. However, if you have some healthy pastures or hay fields with some residual growth from last year, they could be an option for early grazing, especially as some new growth starts.

This is an art based on science, so everyone’s situation will be different. I like to push the envelope and start grazing as soon as possible, but when I put all of the herd together Saturday to initiate a fast rotation, I knew it was too soon, so I am holding them this week and letting the pastures grow with the hope that the warmer weather will allow us to start grazing soon, but not yet!

penrose0330

(Last Sunday, I knew other paddocks would not be ready for grazing so the cows will be held there until we receive adequate growth)