Volunteer Experiences Part II

Grace R

If I had to describe my experience at Isabelle, I would say that it has been colorful. Before I was a regular volunteer, I had stepped foot into a senior center no more than five times in my life. My expectations of the site, our activities, and the other people serving with was very minimal. I have been blown away by my experience; I never knew that there was such a lively population of people hiding in the gem that is Isabelle. Each week has brought new faces, new crafts, and activities and always new one-liners from our “regular” residents. Before this experience, I never considered myself to be drawn to the senior population, but these residents have captured my heart. I have heard stories of loss and of love, I have seen the residents weep at the thought of our dedication and commitment to them, I have seen friendships form and I have seen eyes brightened each and every week I am there. The residents and the activities have been only half of my experience, however. The other half has been the people that I am surrounded by during the weekly visits. I have met a site leader and other volunteers who have a passion and a love for serving others. I am moved, challenged and encouraged each and every day by these people. I have seen myself grow up and learn what a commitment to someone else means. My site leader has taught me that although every week isn’t always a party or the best day of my life, it isn’t about me and these residents depend on us. This responsibility has given me tools that I use in several other aspects of my life. I can never say thank you enough for all this program has given me. Leaving Isabelle at the end of the semester will be very sad, but I will have an unsurpassable amount of joy knowing that I was able to make a difference in the lives of the residents I spent my time with week in and week out.

Amanda Champa

My experience at Isabelle Ridgway Care Center has been really fun so far. I have met some really great people whom I have made unforgettable memories with. Every week I look forward to seeing everyone and putting a smile on their faces. Even though most of the residents are older, they don’t let that bring them down! They are all teens at heart. We do different things every week such as bingo, corn hole, holiday parties, balloon games, make pancakes, and play racing games. We have all formed strong bonds with one another and are excited to see each other every week. We make them laugh and they make us laugh. It makes me feel great when they say things like, “I really appreciate all of you coming”, “I love all of you, you are all so sweet and kind” and “We love when you come, can’t wait to see you next week!” Their smiles make me smile. I have learned a lot from this experience and I look forward to the next few weeks with them. I am going to miss seeing and hanging out with them once summer comes. I am very thankful for this opportunity and would suggest Isabelle to anyone. More people should volunteer, because you never know who could use your help or just needs a friend.