As spring awakens the forest, the creatures of the night begin their songs and calls during this important time for mating. This special evening program is designed to give you insight into the nocturnal animals that live in the forest. Program attendees will have the opportunity to
- Experience the spring forest at night during an almost full moon
- View and learn about flying squirrels
- Listen for coyotes and other night sounds in the forest
- Learn about common frogs, toads, and birds active at night in the spring
Featured presenters include Don Althoff, Professor of Wildlife Conservation at Rio Grande University; Mike Graziano, Herpetologists at The Ohio State University; and Laura Kearns, Wildlife Biologist with ODNR-Division of Wildlife.
“A Day in the Woods” and the “2nd Friday Series” programs run from May through November and are sponsored by the Education and Demonstration Subcommittee of the Vinton Furnace State Forest with support from Ohio State University Extension, ODNR-Divisions of Forestry and Wildlife, U.S. Forest Service, Vinton County Soil and Water Conservation District, National Wild Turkey Federation, Glatfelter, Ohio Tree Farm Committee, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Hocking College, Ohio Bird Conservation initiative and Ohio’s SFI Implementation Committee.
This program will take place on May 12th from 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm at the Vinton Experimental Forest. A registration fee of $10 will cover the cost of a light evening meal and program materials. Please RSVP by calling OSU Extension Vinton County at 740-596-5212, or email Dave Apsley at email@example.com by May 8th.
For brochures, maps and directions, and more information about our 2017 slate of programs for woodland owners and enthusiasts in SE Ohio, visit http://go.osu.edu/seohiowoods.
Other programs scheduled for the 2017 A DAY in the WOODS – 2nd Friday Series include:
- Breeding Birds, June 9 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Crawley Creatures in Your Woods, July 14 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Summer Tree Identification, July 28 – Hocking College
- Improving Habitat for Game Wildlife, August 11 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Tips, Tools, and Techniques to Improve Your Woods, September 8 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- White Oak – Importance, Ecology, and Management, October 13 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- From Trees to Lumber, October 27 – Hocking College
- Winter Tree & Shrub Identification, November 17 – Vinton Furnace State Forest
- Stargazing, November 17 (6:30-10:30 PM) – Vinton Furnace State Forest
2017 A DAY in the WOODS Brochure: DAY in the WOODS -2-27 Final dka-20vq9o6
Directions to the Vinton Furnace State Forest: Directions – Experimental Forest