Eleven Warriors Internship

Over the course of this semester, I have had the privilege to be a student intern at Eleven Warriors, a Columbus-based sports site that focuses on Ohio State athletics. I now work with professionals in the sports journalism industry whose works I have been reading for the past five years.

At Eleven Warriors, I write three weekly pieces: Inside the Box, Five Things, and Ten Reasons to Hate. Inside the Box is a statistical game-analysis of Ohio State’s latest football game. I utilize stats from the game that can explain what went right and what went wrong. Continuing, I also attempt to find seasonal trends. For example, if one unit has been stepping up lately, my numbers and data will show that. The data allows me to support my claims and elaborate why something is occurring. Five Things is a simple preview of Ohio State’s next opponent. Specifically, the small piece looks at the coach, both sides of the ball, the history of the opposing program, and what to watch for during the matchup. Finally, Ten Reasons to Hate is a comedic article that pokes fun at the opposing team. It could include stereotypes about their school, something funny about their state, or even their ugly mascot.

My time in Eleven Warriors has allowed me to learn more about sports, which is a great passion of mine. While I realize that making a career out of this is unlikely, the idea of working in the sports analytics field greatly interests me. This opportunity has provided me with a stepping stone into the industry, future references (as needed), and has allowed me to be proud of and passionate about the pieces that I write. Finally, my time with the site has greatly improved my writing. As it turns out, writing about 2,500 words a week tends to help polish your skills.