Procedures and ideas to consider for your farm or business as you begin this plan page:
- Be sure to plan for both lost children and lost adults. Incidences of lost adults has increased in recent years.
- Possibly ID children and others at risk of being separated from their group at farm by giving a wristband. Ask caregiver/parent to write their cell phone number on wristband, and a backup cell phone of another group leader/parent.
- Outline the procedures for communicating with all guests at your facility. Is there an intercom? Does a bell ring? Are all employees sent a text? (Can this be done rapidly?) Free texting services are mainstream and easy to use. Consider adopting one for your farm. Make a plan to have employees working that day as the only ones receiving the text messages.
- Consider Code Adam Procedures from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The website has more details you may consider at: http://www.missingkids.com/CodeAdam.
While comical and distracting to the message, this video was made to show you how easily it is for parents to get involved in something and forget about children or parents with memory issues during their visit to your farm. Are you paying attention? Can you blame them for being distracted?
*Communication is to all staff and guests.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children’s Code Adam:
- Obtain a detailed description of the child, including what he or she is wearing.
- Page “Code Adam.” Describe the child’s physical features and clothing.
- Designated employees will immediately stop working, look for the child and monitor front entrances to ensure the child does not leave the premises.
- Call law enforcement if the child is not found within 10 minutes.
- If the child is found and appears to have been lost and unharmed, reunite the child with the searching family member.
- If the child is found accompanied by someone other than a parent or legal guardian, make reasonable efforts to delay their departure without putting the child, staff or visitors at risk. Immediately notify law enforcement and give details about the person accompanying the child.
- Cancel the Code Adam page after the child is found or law enforcement arrives.