Alumni Spotlight: Dr. Elizabeth (Liz) Smith, ’17 Ph.D.

Dr. Elizabeth (Liz) Smith earned a doctorate in agricultural and extension education in 2017. Following her completion of the program, she moved to Manchester, Tennessee, where she works as an assistant professor at Middle Tennessee State University.

[ACEL]: Hi Dr. Smith! You completed your Ph.D. in agricultural and extension education. Why did you make that decision?
After talking with other respected Extension professionals I was guided toward ACEL. I was already working for Ohio State as a regional specialist at the time of enrollment.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career?
I enjoyed classes and many of the faculty that facilitated the courses in which I was enrolled. I felt like teaching and working with young adults would be something I would enjoy. I love to learn and knew teaching would allow me to continue learning.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
I enjoyed the leadership course and the study abroad to Honduras. I also enjoyed the public health courses I took.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education?
I respected and enjoyed many of the faculty at Ohio State. Dr. Jamie Cano, Dr. Filson, Dr. King, Dr. Gail Kaye, Dr. Sherer, and Dr. Wittington. I enjoyed their passion and advice regarding career and living life to the fullest.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
My study abroad trip to Honduras.

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
Assistant Professor at Middle Tennessee State University. I teach senior level medical nutrition therapy, coaching and counseling, community nutrition, and nutrition education.

How are you involved in your community outside of your career?
I serve as a judge for 4-H projects and am involved in my church.

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?

We had a 95% internship match rate for our dietetic students this year. Very proud of the students and all of their hard work.

What advice would you give to a current student?
Participate in a study abroad – you will learn so much about your self while giving back to others. Follow your dreams and love what you do. I absolutely love teaching- the students, faculty and staff are wonderful to work alongside day by day.

What did ACEL cultivate in you?
Encourage others to reach their potential, never give up your dreams.

Dr. Cano presenting my hood at my commencement ceremony in May 2017.

My farewell party from the OSU Extension office.