Alumni Spotlight: Jeffrey Carpenter ’03

Jeffrey Carpenter graduated with a bachelor’s degree in agricultural education in 2003. After teaching agricultural education for several years, Carpenter now serves as an assistant principal for the Ohio Central School System and the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction.
[ACEL]: Hi Jeffrey! Why did you select to major in agricultural education?
[Carpenter]: I selected my major of agricultural education, because of the leadership an encouragement of Ron Fuller, my high school agricultural education teacher and Dr. Michael Borger, OSU ATI Beef professor.
Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
I attended the Ohio State University and The Ohio State University Agricultural Technical Institute because of the great professionals and because it is THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY! Is there really any other university?
How did your education at Ohio State influence your career path?
The Ohio State University influenced me to always go above and beyond in helping educate students. I may not be in agricultural education at a public school, but helping individuals who are incarcerated to gain employment and passing on the knowledge and life skills I have learned is very rewarding.
What were you involved in as an Ohio State student?
I was involved in Delta Theta Sigma Fraternity and Ohio State Horseman’s Association. I also participated in Little Internationa,l where I was able to win the horse showmanship with Ohio State’s stallion, The Flashiest Zip Yet.  My jobs included working at OSU ATI Library and as a part of the Ohio State ATI beef research team. When I went to the Columbus campus I worked for Dr. Alecia Larew-Naugle with Ohio State’s Veterinary Preventative Medicine. Then I was able to complete an internship at OSU meat with Dr. Henry Zerby.
What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State? What was your favorite and why?
I have two  classes that I have very fond memories.  The animal judging class with Dr. Borger. I enjoyed it because Dr. Borger and Joe Lit made the class fun and it was hands on. The second class was the capstone class with Dr. Zartman. I really enjoyed the animal welfare and animal right class. I guess because of the debates!

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education/career? How?
I would say each and every professor at Ohio State has had an impact on my life. However, if it wasn’t for Dr. Michael Borger, I am not for sure I would have changed my major to agricultural education. You see, it was being selected to be on the Ohio State ATI beef research team that allowed Dr. Borger to see my skills and push me to teach.
What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
Oh my, this would have to be spending time with my fellow brothers at DTS and great friends in Ohio State Horseman’s Association.
What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
My first job after graduating Ohio State was teaching animal processing and large and small animal veterinary science at Preston County Schools in Kingwood, West Virginia along with being the farm manager. Dr. Alecia Larew-Naugle called me and encouraged me to apply for the position. It was a great fit!
Where has your career taken you over the past 15 years?
I have worked for Preston County Schools and Vinton County Schools as an agricultural education instructor. Today, I am a shared service area assistant principal for Ohio Central School System and Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, along with being the owner operator of Carpenters Quarter Horses LLC.

During your career, have you received any awards or honors? If so, what are those?
I have had the honor of being part of the team of agricultural educators that was honored in having the top Secondary Agricultural Education Program in West Virginia and North Eastern US. The team of Ron Wilson, Beth (Roberts) Myers, Laah Wolford and myself were honor with that great distinction at Preston County Schools in Kingwood, WV.
As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
As of today, my great highlights have always been seeing my students succeed.
What advice would you give to a current student?
First piece of advice I would give would be, anything worthwhile is worth doing right. Secondly I would say to take a chance and take positions that challenge you.