Alumni Spotlight, Nick Zachrich ’07

[ACEL]: Hi Nick! You have completed a bachelor and master of science degree in agriculture. Why did you select that area to study?
[Zachrich]: I love to share knowledge of agriculture with anyone and everyone and always enjoy learning something new about agriculture.

Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
My passion for agriculture limited my search for a college but have always been a Buckeye at heart.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career or your career path?
I began working at Farm Science Review as a student and loved the people in the department as well as what Farm Science Review means to so many people in the agricultural industry. Ohio State is fortunate to have such an event of its magnitude with only a few farm shows that rival in size and scope. If I were not working at Ohio State, I would still be in the classroom. The professors in my time at Ohio State created a spark and excitement in me that built on my passion for teaching others about agriculture.

How were you involved as a student?
During my undergraduate education, I spent most of my free time working at Farm Science Review and working other jobs but was involved in Agricultural Education Society and very active in Block “O”.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State?
I took a class on management intensive grazing with Dr. David Zartman that I really enjoyed. I have a stronger background in agronomy which this class pulled together principles of growing forages with the practical application of feeding cattle.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education?
Dr. Whittington has inspired me from the time I switched my major to agricultural education with her upbeat attitude and encouragement to achieve goals.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
My roommate Scott and I went to Tempe to watch the National Championship football game which I would consider the most exciting football game ever.

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
I was the agricultural education Instructor and FFA advisor for Fairview High School in Sherwood, Ohio.

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
I am the youngest of only four Farm Science Review managers in 55 years.

What advice would you give to a current student? 
Enjoy your time with friends but prepare yourself with good professional habits starting now. The people around you at Ohio State can be great references for your future career.

What did ACEL cultivate in you?
The most important thing that ACEL was able to cultivate in me is the understanding of why agricultural education is important in everyday life which becomes more evident all the time. Consumers are eager to know where their food comes from and how it is made and this can be accomplished one conversation at a time. Those of us involved in agriculture are a small percentage of the population but have a lot of knowledge that others seek.