My American FFA Degree: Meredith Oglesby

One Organization. One Blue Jacket. Endless Opportunities.

Meredith Oglesby, Hillsboro FFA

“I believe in the future of agriculture.” This simple statement is presented by countless first year FFA members each year. Some saying it simply because their FFA advisor made it an assignment, while others are competing in the creed contest. These students having no idea the impact one organization, one blue corduroy jacket can have. I was one of these students, I never imagined that the early morning competitions, National Convention trips, and the countless memories made with my FFA Chapter would shape me into the individual I am today.

The American FFA Degree is the highest degree a FFA member can achieve. On October 28, 2017 I was fortunate enough to earn this degree, ending a six year journey through the FFA. Receiving this degree meant all the hard work had paid off. My SAE projects I maintained to be able to receive this degree included raising, showing, and selling market beef cattle and market lambs. I also maintained a herd of 25 breeding cattle. I grew pumpkins and gourds to sell to family and friends during the fall and also developed a garden at the Highland County Homeless Shelter.

I will never be able to express how grateful I am for the experience I had through the FFA. I was fortunate enough to serve as the 2016-2017 Ohio FFA State Vice President where I advocated for agriculture and Agricultural Education, while engaging with students to increase their leadership skills. Traveling through the state meeting FFA members and seeing the diversity of this organization showed me the future of agriculture is bright. I will hang this degree on my wall to serve as a reminder of the organization where I discovered a passion for the agricultural industry, gained some of my closest friends, and found a love for serving others. Wearing my blue corduroy jacket may have come to a close but I will always be a proud supporter of the FFA. I will continue to encourage others to immerse themselves in an organization that allows you to find your purpose and embrace your passion.

Oglesby with her American FFA Degree.