Alumni Spotlight: Brenda Seevers ’91

[ACEL]: Hi Brenda! Why did you select your major?
[Seevers]: My first two degrees (BA, MA) were in Home Economics.  I chose those areas because I had been an active 4-H member and had a wonderful HS teacher role model.  My first professional position was a county extension 4-H agent in Saratoga, New York.  From there I moved to Wyoming where I was a state 4-H specialist.

Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
While employed at the University of Wyoming I was selected to participate in the National 4-H Executive Development Institute. Two extension professionals from each state were selected with the goal of future extension leadership being promoted from within. Participants were encouraged to pursue a PhD. Ohio State not only had a nationally known, quality PhD program in agricultural education, but it was close to family.  A graduate assistantship was offered, finalizing my decision.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career or your career path?
When I started a doctoral program at Ohio State, my intention was always to continue a career within the Cooperative Extension Service. While at OSU, I had the opportunity to work with CES administrative and academic faculty.  I also had the opportunity to be a graduate teaching assistant. At that time I found I enjoyed classroom teaching as much as non-formal education.  My current position at NMSU allows me to do both. As a faculty member in agricultural and extension education, my primary responsibilities are preparing future Extension professionals. This allows me to maintain an extension focus while being engaged in classroom instruction, conducting research and advising students.

While you attended Ohio State, how were you stay active outside of the classroom?
As a graduate assistant, I worked in the State 4-H office and the program development/evaluation offices for CES. I was also a member of Gamma Sigma Delta.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State? What was your favorite and why?
I really enjoyed all my classes.  Ones that were most transferable were research methods, youth program management, program planning and evaluation.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education/career? How?
Since I have taught a graduate research methods for over 26 years, the research series probably has had the most impact.  Dr. Emma Lou Norland was a great mentor.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
There is not one thing in particular, however the friendships made and the collegiality with fellow graduate students and faculty have been long lasting.

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
My first job following completion of my PhD in 1991 is also my current job. I am a faculty member in the Department of Agricultural and Extension Education at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

Throughout your career, where you have you worked?
1979-84: county extension agent, 4-H, Saratoga County, New York
1984-88: program specialist, 4-H/Youth Development, Wyoming Cooperative
Extension Service, University of Wyoming, Laramie
1988-91: graduate research and teaching associate, Ohio State University
1991-present: faculty/professor, Department of Agricultural and Extension
Education, New Mexico State University
2011-16: board member and project manager, International NGO,
Lifestitches.org  – economically empowering HIV+ women in Uganda
(volunteer role)

During your career, have you received any awards or honors? If so, what are those?

• First author of the textbook “Education Through Cooperative Extension” now in 3rd edition
  • 2011: Promoted to Distinguished Achievement Professor,  special NMSU university
    recognition give to a few faculty each year Teaching Honors and Awards
  • 2009: Western Region Distinguished Service Award, AAAE
  • 2006: Western Regional Outstanding Teacher Award, NACTA
  • 2004: Gamma Sigma Delta, Distinguished Award for Graduate Teaching/Advising
  • 2004: NMSU Collegiate FFA, Outstanding Teacher in College
  • 2003: Western Region Association of Agricultural Educators – Distinguished Teaching Award (Regional)
  • 2001: NACTA Teacher Fellow Award (National)
  • 1998: Food and Agricultural Sciences Excellence in Teaching – USDA (Regional)
  • 1997: El Paso Natural Gas Faculty Achievement Award (University)
  • 1996: Finalist for El Paso Natural Gas Teaching Award
  • 1996: Western Region American Association of Agricultural Educators Outstanding Young Member Award (Regional)
  • 1995: Donald C. Rousch Excellence in Teaching Award (University)
  • 1994: National Association of College Teachers of Agriculture – Teaching Award of Merit. (College) Research and Scholarly Achievement Awards
  • 2014: Outstanding Services.  Association for International Agriculture and
    Extension Education.  Miami, FL.
  • 2008: Distinguished Research Award.  Western Region American Association for Agricultural Educators.  Park City, UT.
  • 2004: Gamma Sigma Delta Distinguished Award for Graduate Teaching Advisement.  Las Cruces, NM.
  • 2004: 3rd Place Paper Presentation. 20th Annual meeting of the Association for International Agricultural and Extension Education.  Dublin, Ireland.
  • 2002:. Author of the Year Award (1st runner-up) – Journal of Agricultural Education (Vol. 42, 1). presented at annual AAAE meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
  • 2001, December. Author of the Year Award (1st runner up) – Journal of Agricultural Education (Vol 41, 3) presented at annual AAAE meeting, New Orleans, LA
  • 2000:  E. B. Knight Journal Award – Outstanding Journal Article – NACTA Journal, (Vol 43, 4) presented at annual conference in Doylestown, PA.
  • 1997:  Author of the Year Award – Journal of Agricultural Education (Vol. 37).  1996 Co-authored article. Presented at annual AAAE meeting in Las Vegas, NV.
  • 1995:  Winner of Outstanding Poster Session Award.  Presented at annual AAAE Meeting in Las Vegas, NV
  • 1995: Winner of Outstanding Poster Session Award. Presented at Annual Western Regional AAAE Meeting.  Phoenix, AZ.
  • 1993-96: NVATA 30 Minute Club Publishing Award, 1993-96

Service Awards

• Outstanding Service, AIAEE, 2014
  • Senior Fellow – AIAEE, 2013
  • Distinguished Service Award, AAAE, Western Reg., 2009
  • International Connoisseurs of Green & Red Chili, 2003
  • Honorary Member of the Sam Steel Society, 1997
  • United Local School, Hanoverton, Ohio
  • one of first six inductees into Wall of Fame, 1997
  • NAE4-HA Distinguished Service Award, 1986

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
There is not one thing in particular but in general the opportunity to advise and mentor students.  The greatest reward is the ability to see them grow and succeed. I have also become more engaged globally in research and teaching.

What advice would you give to a current student?
Seek out and take advantage of every opportunity. Always do you best, but don’t be afraid to fail, learn and grow from it. Give back. The greatest rewards are not the plaques and certificates but the satisfaction of a job well done.

What did ACEL cultivate in you? How?
Take pride in who you are and what you do.  Agricultural education does make a difference.  Lives are changed – locally, nationally and globally.