Alumni Spotlight: Tim Massie ’78

[ACEL]: Hi Tim! Why did you select your major?
[Massie]: I selected an Ag Education major based upon the recommendation from an acquaintance who at the time was a graduate student working as an academic advisor.

Why did you choose to attend The Ohio State University?
When I was considering my career path after high school my goal was to become a veterinarian.  I always wanted to attend The Ohio State University and since they offered this opportunity it was a perfect fit for me.

How did your education at Ohio State influence your choice of career or your career path?
As my education at The Ohio State University proceeded quarter after quarter I knew that I wanted to become a vocational agriculture instructor.  I found the courses required to complete my degree in Ag Education to be interesting and increased my desire to continue this path to my new goal.

What were you involved in as an Ohio State student (student organizations, honoraries, campus jobs, Greek life, etc.):
As an Ohio State student I was involved in a fraternity for four years serving as the treasurer one year and I participating in several intramural sports as a fraternity member.   I also attended University 4-H club meetings and Ag Ed Society meetings.

What classes did you enjoy the most while at Ohio State? What was your favorite and why?
My most enjoyable and favorite classes were the Ag Education classes because they were the most practical classes which would eventually help me towards my career path.  I especially enjoyed classes in which the professor conducted the class as you would if you were the teacher of a high school class.  If a student was late coming to class he would treat the situation as you should if you were the teacher in the classroom.  He instructed us on many other elements we may deal with in the classroom and we took turns role playing situations.  All of these activities I found very useful when I became employed as a vocational agriculture instructor.

What professor, faculty or staff member had an impact on your education?
Roger Smith, the graduate student who was working as an academic advisor at the time, was the person who suggested that I look into the Ag Education pathway.  It was a career path that I had never considered previously and shortly after beginning that pathway I knew that is what I wanted to do.

What is your favorite memory related to your time at Ohio State?
My favorite memory at Ohio State was the entire college experience.  When I enrolled at The Ohio State University, I was pretty green.  Throughout my college experience I learned to budget my time and money, to prioritize my tasks/assignments, and it is where I began to develop my organizational skills.  All of these skills I continue to use today almost forty years later.  Of course there is nothing like being a Buckeye at The Ohio State University and experiencing all the excitement of a game day!

What was your first job following your education at Ohio State?
After graduating from The Ohio State University my first job was a high school vocational agriculture instructor.

For what schools and organizations have you worked throughout your career?
I was employed by the Gallipolis City School system and I worked at the Gallia Academy High School for thirty-five years.  For the first thirteen years I worked as the vocational agriculture instructor, three years as guidance counselor, sixteen years as the assistant principal, and the last three years as the high school principal.

I have been elected as a director for the Gallia County Agricultural Society since 1980 (37 years to date).  During my service I was elected as treasurer for three years, president for five years, and I have been elected and currently serve as secretary for the last twenty-nine years.  I was also elected to the Ohio Fair Managers Association Board in 1994 and served as a district director for ten years, second vice-president two years, first vice-president two years, and president two years.

Another one of my favorite jobs is working as an Ohio State Patrol Auxiliary Officer for over eleven years and I have held the ranks of Officer, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, and I currently serve as Major.

During your career, what awards have you received?
In October 1990 I was inducted into the Gallia County 4-H Hall of Fame.  In May of 1996 I was awarded the Honorary Chapter FFA Degree.  In 1997, I was awarded the Ohio Fair Manager’s Association Director of the year by the Greater Ohio Showmen’s Association.  In January 2009 I was recognized by the Ohio Fair Manager’s Association and the Greater Ohio Showmen’s Association for serving as president of the OFMA.

On May 31, 2013 the Gallia County Commissioners proclaimed this day as Timothy Massie Day for my influence on the youth of Gallia County.

As of today, what is your favorite career highlight?
My favorite career highlight for thirty-five years was working with all the students that went through Gallia Academy High School in all my capacities.  It is very rewarding watching them grow, learn, mature and seeing them walk across the stage on graduation evening.

What advice would you give to a current student?
Current students should select a career path that will help them secure a career they will enjoy doing each and every day.  You must keep in mind that no matter what career you choose, you are going to experience good days and bad days, so you must learn to take the good with the bad.  Hopefully the good will outnumber the bad!  I would encourage them to get active in any related organizations offered at OSU to build relationships and friendships that may be useful in the future.  Finally I would like to pass along some advice that one of my school superintendents gave to each of the graduating classes he addressed during graduation.  Supt. Jack W. Payton would tell the graduating class members as part of his yearly address something like this:  “Be on time, doing your job to the best of your ability.”