4-H Changed My Life

By: Alison Scott
Canton, Massachusetts
Agricultural Communication
Senior

2000px-4H_Emblem.svg

As a horse crazy kid, I lived and breathed all things equine. So in fourth grade, I joined my local 4-H horse club, not knowing that I was about to embark on a journey that made me into the person I am today.

When I joined 4-H, I was painfully shy and quiet- the idea of public speaking or being seen as a leader in any capacity was enough to make me want to hide myself in my favorite horse’s stall and never come out! I never could have foreseen how the next nine years in the organization would change my life.

By the time I aged out of the program at 18, I had served as a leader in my club for several years, gave countless presentations and competed at the Eastern National 4-H Horse Roundup twice.

Though I did join FFA in high school, I really found my place in 4-H. 4-H allowed me to do my favorite thing- learn about horses- in an environment that made me into the person I am today. I will never forget the days and nights studying for the National Horse Judging and Hippology competitions, chilly days spent riding my project horse and countless memories made with some of the best friends I have ever had.

Even though I am no longer active in 4-H (something I hope to change in the future!), I fondly remember those years and know that they played a huge role in turning me into the articulate and confident individual I am today and set me up for my successful four years at Ohio State.

Alison and her favorite horse, Chloe

Alison and her favorite horse, Chloe

2010 Massachusetts National Team

2010 Massachusetts National Team

Another successful end of year 4-H Banquet (for county awards)