My Last Step as a Member, and My First Step as Alum

By: Christine Balint
Agriscience Education

It was the moment I looked forward to in my entire high school career. To have my picture on the FFA chapter room wall. To become apart of the 0.5% of the FFA members to achieve such a high honor. I was proudly representing my chapter, my state, and my parents. Receiving my American FFA Degree was truly an amazing experience.

Even though you woke up at 5am to make sure you were dressed, registered and seated by 7:30am, every American Degree Recipient’s first day was the day they walked into their FFA classroom freshman year of high school. Over those short five years, I’ve changed into the person I am today. From the leadership nights, to county fairs, and National competitions to finishing the first Agriscience Education internship through the Ohio FFA, these experiences made me want to become an Agriscience Educator.

As an American Degree recipient, you are the celebrity for the day. There are teachers who stop foot traffic for you to walk, you get your picture taken at least 5 times, you can’t count how many hands you shook, and you get to be on the national stage with the national FFA president for a solid 3 seconds. You get to see your friends from FFA camp sophomore year, your friends from back home who are also in college, and all the new friends you’ve made since you graduated high school. I was grateful to have my sisters of Alpha Sigma Upsilon getting their American Degrees with me as well as past state officers, and members of ACEL and CFAES.

I had been waiting for this moment for throughout high school and into college and it was all over in only a few hours. It was the last time I would wear my jacket as a FFA member, and while the moment was sentimental, I know that it is the start of my involvement in Ag Education and as FFA alumni. This great organization has done so much for me, and now it is my turn to give back.

IMG_2564-2